'99 YZ400 Ticking sound

4 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted June 29, 2004 - 05:18 AM

As some of you know, I just got a '99 YZ400 the other day. It has a ticking sound that I'm not sure what it is. It's not super loud, just a small ticking that increases and decreases with rpms. Is this just a normal sound with 4-strokes?

• yathump

Posted June 29, 2004 - 05:25 AM

These motors do make a lot of noise, the first thought would be the valves, do you have any idea when they were checked/adjusted last?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pothole

Posted June 29, 2004 - 05:27 AM

No idea what the service has been on that bike. Maybe the local dealer has a record? The guy I bought it from had it less than a year and bought it from the original owener. I guess I should just do a good overhaul on the motor so I know for sure.

• yathump

Posted June 29, 2004 - 05:32 AM

If you are not used to the sound of these motors it could very well be normal valve train noise, not knowing when the last service was it probably wouldn't hurt to check them out just to be safe. :thumbsup:

• Fly-nBri

Posted June 29, 2004 - 08:17 AM

This may be a longshot but it's easy to check out. Take a look a both the front and the back wheel bearings. I seem to recall this being a problem in the past.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.