Tour de Lance

23 replies to this topic
  • mikeolichney

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:03 AM

Other things of interest, from ESPN.COM:

Off the bike, Lance Armstrong demands six figures for speaking engagements and earns an estimated $15 million per year in salary and endorsements. He is friends with President George W. Bush and rides moto-cross bikes in the offseason with singer Lyle Lovett.

• yznvegas

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:05 AM

The french hate evertything American, especially when we dominate there national competition, it's kind of funny actually.

Just look at "Euro Disney" :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted July 22, 2002 - 10:15 PM

I take your point about doping. The French and Italian media are particularly bad at this, mainly because they both think they 'own' the sport. Unfortunately, anyone who rides as consistently well as Lance is gonna come in for a media hammering, but I really don't think its because he's an American.

Sadly, the whole sport is tarnished with the 'drug thing' right now. And looking back at the last few years (and leaving Lance aside) it would appear to be with good reason. Anyone who does well is gonna get looked upon with suspicion.

and another thing - put yourself in the position of the French media: how would you feel if a French baseball team had won your 'world series' for the last five years...? :)

and yet another thing - Lance's whole season and training schedule is geared towards winning/retaining the tour de france title. Very few other riders are in a position to be able to afford to train like that. Most will need to ride a full season's race calendar consistently to earn their wages....

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Thumpty Dumpty ]

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Thumpty Dumpty ]

• mikeolichney

Posted July 23, 2002 - 07:35 AM

Thumpty Dumpty: If the French come over and win our "world" (what a joke) series I would love it. Baseball bores me stiff. There are 18 guys, not counting reserves, and 8 of them are sitting down. One guy throws the ball, and sometimes the batter swings at it. On the rare occassion that he hits it there is a brief flurry of activity. No one runs more than a few yards. I am supposed to get excited about that? Its embarrassing that some people call baseball our national pasttime. IMO, its long past time to define an new one.

I don't boo Villuimen when he wins an SX. Carmichael isn't my favorite Team Honda rider-Tortelli is. But it does irk me that many Europeans treat Lance Armstrong so poorly.

As far as LAs funding goes, he comes from a single mom childhood, with her working several jobs to make ends meet when he was young. He worked hard and had the talent to get to where he is. Its not like Indurain, Hinault or the other greats didn't do the same thing.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.