Here is how to take stress out marks in plastic!!!

15 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted July 19, 2002 - 05:01 AM

Here is how to take stress out marks in plastic!!! It is simple.
-get lighter or heat gun
-I never used heat gun I used a household lighter
-take the plactis off
-get lighter and go back and forth until stressmark goes away.
TIPS-Do not touck when hot or you will put a print on plastic. Use the blue part of flame.

• Garry

Posted July 21, 2002 - 01:08 AM

The blue Yamaha plastic turns light blue/white after stressing. Does the technique you describe remove the light coloured stressing in the Yamaha plastic?

Garry

• freestyle111

Posted July 21, 2002 - 04:35 AM

i use propane torch.dont aim flame direct at plastic wave flame back and forth about 1\2in. above stress marks until they are gone.most of time stress mark will totally disappear and plastic returns to original color.

• DoctorRzed

Posted July 22, 2002 - 02:37 AM

Garry yes the tech works.

• mikeolichney

Posted July 22, 2002 - 11:53 AM

Old news. I use a heat gun and always go from the bottom or inside.

• yznvegas

Posted July 22, 2002 - 11:55 AM

mikolchaney wrote: "Old news. I use a heat gun and always go from the bottom or inside."

Gee, too bad the rest of us aren't as up on these technical things as you are.

I personally thought it was a neat tip.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 22, 2002 - 01:18 PM

this is like haveing plastic surgery to hide the scars of moto. Now I ask you, how many of you's guys have said "and I got this one from..."? Hmmmmm, now your bike does the same thing! Your bike says stuff like, "Ya, thats from when the dumbass didnt get off the corner good enough, but still tried the long triple" or "and that one, good gawd, that's the one where the drunken jackass dropped me out of the truck trying to load me up".

LOL
Heat works good to soften the stress marks, but it has a tendency to make the plastic brittle.

• mikeolichney

Posted July 22, 2002 - 02:53 PM

Originally posted by yznvegas:
Gee, too bad the rest of us aren't as up on these technical things as you are.

I personally thought it was a neat tip.[/QB]

I didn't mean any offense. If you have questions like this try the search function. Alot of stuff like this is archived.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • guidster

Posted July 24, 2002 - 07:03 AM

I tried this tactic and the whole damn rear fender turned a white "stressed" color after a couple of weeks. What gives?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 24, 2002 - 07:39 AM

Told ya, it makes the fender brittle. Its a good way to sell a bike, but if your trying to get more life out of a fender, heating it up isnt the way to go.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 24, 2002 - 07:45 AM

I agree with ShawnMC

I think they are war wounds good for bench racing

Oh that scratch and stress mark

Well About a week or so I was at the track and RC, Tim Ferry and Dr D showed up out of the blue....

Well one snear led to another and before ya know it I was roostin the three real bad.

Well that started this grudge race and the 4 of us were dicing I was in the lead and RC tried to pass, so I just nudged him over and closed the door on this great block pass.

He got sooooo pissed

Thats when the three of them just put me in the bushes, after I lapped them over this wicked tripple that was 1500 ft.

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 24, 2002 - 03:36 PM

LOL 1500 feet too funny

• gearbri

Posted July 26, 2002 - 05:00 AM

Since fenders are only around 20 bucks, I think I'll save the money on the heat torch and go new.... but then again, doesnt it help having a torch to loosen up bolts n such?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 26, 2002 - 05:08 AM

Somebody say TORCH
Posted Image

This lil puppy takes care of just about anything stressful :)

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• MOmilkman

Posted July 26, 2002 - 05:49 AM

Go with white or yellow plastic on your yz/wr. You never have to worry about strees marks then.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 26, 2002 - 06:10 AM

if you have the new MXA look on page 91

the one industies iBike

sooo Sweeeeet

To bad its only available for the cr 125 & 250

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.