Is it possible to take the paint off the swingarm and polish it?

12 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted July 19, 2002 - 02:42 AM

Is it possible to take the paint off the swingarm and polish it with out it rusting? what metel is it made of?

Posted July 19, 2002 - 04:42 AM

I am sure it is, I know some of the guys around here have theirs done. I am just waiting till I take mine off, then it will be done. I probably need to pull mine off and grease everything since I have never done it :) But as soon as I do I will let my bud do it that works at Milwaukee Iron. Frank

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 19, 2002 - 06:31 AM

I know a couple of mx racers here in ohio that have taken the paint off their's. They look awesome. There is a lot of work in doing it. They used all kinds of different paint strippers and steel wool. Good luck!

• Wyatt

Posted July 19, 2002 - 07:50 AM

I have done mine. My advice is not to attempt it unless you are willing to put a lot of work into it, and a nice painted swingarm probably looks better than a half hearted effort. It is not an easy job, and you better have an extra large can of elbow grease for the job.

Mine is polished to a mirror finish top and bottom...inside and out. I did it while I have been injured and could not ride. A lot of paint stripper, steel wool, wet sanding, and polishing.

I figure the polished swingarm added atleast a 10-15% horsepower increase........and it will greatly reduce my lap times......

• MANIAC998

Posted July 19, 2002 - 08:03 AM

Lots of work involved. LOTS!!! They do look nice for awhile. The chain side will begin to look tarnished first due to the chain lube I assume. But even so, you will have to polish fairly often to keep that shine. Aluminum will oxidize, that is why it is painted. Venture at your own risk! Maniac

• freestyle111

Posted July 21, 2002 - 11:51 AM

i polished mine Posted Image Posted Image

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fireballsocal

Posted July 21, 2002 - 02:44 PM

Rat: While your are correct that polishing will create heat, it will not be enough to change the temper of the aluminum. Even with a power sander or polisher, you won't create enough heat unless you bear down on the aluminum in one spot for a long time. The aluminum acts as a giant heat sink and dissapates the heat away from the contact point of the polisher.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 21, 2002 - 04:42 PM

I did mine in about 1hr.

I took my palm sander with 400gr and sanded off what i could and did the rest by hand.
It took me no more than an hour!

I fixed my buddy's 2smoke pipe and he polished it in exchange. He said about 1hr to do it.
I just did the top and outsides.
It looks awesome but takes at lot to keep it up if you ride DEZ.
No sort of corrosion at all.

• freestyle111

Posted July 22, 2002 - 12:55 AM

THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER I did mine in about 1hr.
I took my palm sander with 400gr and sanded off what i could and did the rest by hand.
It took me no more than an hour!

you must not of sanded off all ruff casting took me at least 4 or 5 hours to sand smooth.that was after i stripped pant off with paint remover.i would say the whole process[whole swing arm not just outside and top] took me somewhere around 8 hours i started wet sanding with 400 and finished with 1500 before polishing.i also polished rear brake lever, caliper & resevoir guard,kickstarter,shifter and water pump guard.polished aluminum looks good but the best part is its way easier than painted parts to maintain.nothing sticks to it all i do when im done riding is spray bike with simple green and hose it off.

• Fireballsocal

Posted July 22, 2002 - 02:44 PM

Man Freestyle! My bike hasn't looked that good since leaving the dealership. Is it always that clean?

• freestyle111

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:19 PM

if bike is in my garage its clean.first thing i do when i get home from riding is wash bike.i took that picture last year.ims tank was a little too wide so i got rid of it. bought acerbis tank 3.4gl.[for trailriding and dualsports]and a stock yz250f tank [for track].now bike's look changes depending on where im riding at.Posted Image

• thumper4life

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:03 PM

first off, you have a nice bike

that second picture is REALLY hurting my head, i stared at it for at least 10 minutes, did you reverse it??? its 2 am so it may be me, but if you sit on that thing wont all that stuff be on your left side but yet thats where the brake and kickstarter are :)

• freestyle111

Posted July 22, 2002 - 09:14 PM

yes,both pics were taken from same side of bike so i flipped one of them.that rear brake lever on that side of bike would be one hell of a mod.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.