04 Clutch routing on an 03

9 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted June 28, 2004 - 12:29 AM

Ok so what do I need? The cable obviously and the little bracket to go on the cylinder. Do I need to get a new actuator arm or will the GYT clutch kit one work? Also how are you routing it. On my 04 250f I have holders going down the frame not on the 03.

• stroker101

Posted June 28, 2004 - 05:18 PM

you'll need a new cable, bracket, actuator arm. as far as routing goes, from the actuator arm, run the cable up the frame and behind the left radiator. between the upper and lower clamps, behind front # plate and then finally to the clutch lever. (gyt clutch kit?)

• OC768

Posted June 28, 2004 - 06:52 PM

I ended up ordering the '04 actuator arm (yes it's a requirement) but unfortunately I never found out if its in the GYT kit because it was on backorder till June when I ordered it (in April) so I nixed it and bought the parts seperately.

I bought:
-04 cable
-04 cable holder
-04 case bolts (2 needed, they are ~4mm longer to compensate for cable holder thickness)
-04 actuator arm
-04 actuator arm retainer spring
-(new seal for actuator arm bearing)

If you need a clutch as well, I ended up getting a Tusk 426 clutch kit (fits perfect, but you need the spacer/spring in the 02 426 as the last friction disc for the 426 is cored out some) and it works beautifully (for 47$ :thumbsup:). Actually I think this may be the same config as the 03 YZ250f's..not 100% sure though.

Sorry I can't help with P/N's at the moment but if you come into trouble post up and I'll go find my receipts. Just be sure if you change the case bolts that you measure the thickness of the cable holder and compare to the added length of the new bolts before install or you can end your cases.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 28, 2004 - 09:49 PM

Dude, do a search, I did the complete mod months ago and posted pics! Very trick mod!
Here's my '03 after "mod". .
Posted Image
This includes a 250f (or you can just get an '04 clutch cable) clutch cable, two new cable guides (head and case), and an '04 actuator arm (don't forget the spring).

• stroker101

Posted June 29, 2004 - 12:24 AM

thanks for the pics tim! pics are worth a thousand words :thumbsup: :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XXX_Thumper

Posted June 29, 2004 - 06:45 AM

I cant see a picture?? :thumbsup:

I can see it now. :devil: :awww:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 29, 2004 - 08:12 AM

Once again, attack of the Imagestation! Right click on pic, select "properties", cut and past URL to your address window, click "go."

• tdd6405

Posted June 29, 2004 - 10:45 AM

or right click on the x and click show picture. it worked for me

• gonzo

Posted July 01, 2004 - 07:24 AM

Will a 250F actautor arm and spring work?

• TimFurryBalls

Posted July 01, 2004 - 08:59 AM

I doubt it, but the clutch cable will. The cable from the '03 250f is actually a little cleaner looking if you ask me. Just get the entire arm and spring for an '04 450, and you're set. I didn't replace the lip seal either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.