Checking out used bike questions...

7 replies to this topic
  • acarter920

Posted July 18, 2002 - 07:59 AM

I have seen it in here before, but cant seem to find the thread again. My question is this...

I know a lot of us buy used bikes, what is a good checklist to go through while checking the bike out before the cash is dished out?

I am going to take a look at a bike pretty soon, and I know you all have some great ideas as to how to check out certain things on the bike.

BTW, I am looking for ideas for both 2 and 4 stroke mx'ers. Thanks in advance! :)

• FedEx250F

Posted July 18, 2002 - 08:14 AM

Here's a link to a good list, but it tends to be for a street bike. A lot of the stuff is apllicable to dirt bikes too.

http://www.zip.com.a..._Checklist.html

• yznvegas

Posted July 18, 2002 - 09:01 PM

If it comes with a sand paddle, don't buy it.

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 18, 2002 - 10:02 AM

One thing I always checked when buying a used bike was the chain roller. If the bearings are shot in it, and it is barely hangin on then the bike has been rode and likely has many hours on it. Also check wheel bearings and steering head bearings, swingarm etc. And then of course the obvious like chain, sprockets, tires, brakes, coolant, oil, etc. Start it and listen to the motor for any unusual noises. Frank

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 18, 2002 - 10:14 AM

FastFrank makes a good point, always get the bike up off its wheels and check for side play in the swing arm, wiggle the wheels and check the forks for excessive play also.

The forks can be check with the front off the ground by grabbing each bottom leg of the tubes (Near Axle) and just feel if there is any forward play, this indicates the head is not tight or the bearings in the triples are shot.

Swing arm can be checked by grabbing the tire at the farthest end rear of the bike and push pull from side to side. If there is wobble or movement then either bearings or swing arm is in need of repair.

Look at the bolts on the heads and cases for wear this would indicate the engine has been, apart. Another good indicator if the guy was sloppy is gasket sealer all over the joints.

Spin the tires they should be freewheeling no squeaks and should at least spin a few time around.

good luck

• acarter920

Posted July 18, 2002 - 10:29 AM

Great advice so far! Ego posted exactly what I was looking for (that's kind of unexpected... :) ). Specific things to look for and HOW to check them is what I'm looking for. Great ideas so far. Keep em coming, the more the better. Thanks

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: acarter920 ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 18, 2002 - 10:37 AM

Just for that one

check to see if his wife dosnt wear a bra and has a thong on :)

• JT1

Posted July 18, 2002 - 11:37 AM

E.G.O. ****, do you check the wife before or after the bike and how much play is acceptable? :)

"Its Not A Crime;
To Be A Straight White Male"........you must not live in California............(P.R.O.C.)

JT

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.