All New Engines in `06???

11 replies to this topic
  • Fireball

Posted June 27, 2004 - 08:13 AM

so here's what I'm thinking... if the YZ 125 and Yz 250 are getting the new aluminum frame for 05, and the 250F and 450F are supposedly getting the the frame in 06... there might be new engine designs in 06. I've heard through the grapevine that the 250F motor was undergoing a major overhaul for 06, so I would suspect the 450 is going to get it, also. I'm thinking that maybe we'll get a new motor that doesn't use the frame as an oil storage tank. I hated that on my 426. I had to weld the frame 3 times in different places that were leaking oil through cracks.

Maybe Yamaha will step up to the plate and give us separate engine and transmission oil. I never thought clutch plate aluminum and fibers were meant to run through my engine, although you know they do. Honda clearly has the best approach as far as separating the oils.

My son jumped ship to a CRF 250 :thumbsup: this year after 8 years on YZ's. He still rides a YZ 250. We're getting ready to get a 450, and it will be BLUE like the YZ 250 2 stroke that it's replacing. I am real iffy on the new Honda. They are suffering cronic valve problems on alot of them (ours... not yet... key word "yet") and alot of the 250f's are burning oil. (not ours) Funny thing... the YZ's don't seems to be having all the valve problems, or burn oil. If the CRF 250 starts costing me alot of money, it will be GONE quickly. Hey... I still bleed BLUE!

What does everyone think about new engines in the 06 model YZF's???

• Ga426owner

Posted June 27, 2004 - 08:39 AM

Fireball I think that this would be good news but that at this point it is way to early to speculate. I am torn between keeping my 03 another year or buying the 05 honda. The 04CRF is a really nice bike & I found that I could ride it longer without getting as tired. There does not seem to be enough major changes for me to sell my 03 to buy an 05 YZF. It takes me 3 or 4 months just to get any new bike right for me. I would have bought the 05 YZF if the frame had been updated to Alum. It is a refined copy of the 03 in my opinion. I predict low sales for the 05 YZF this year & lower than usual sale prices to move them

• blackie

Posted June 27, 2004 - 03:27 PM

Fireball I think that this would be good news but that at this point it is way to early to speculate. I am torn between keeping my 03 another year or buying the 05 honda. The 04CRF is a really nice bike & I found that I could ride it longer without getting as tired. There does not seem to be enough major changes for me to sell my 03 to buy an 05 YZF. It takes me 3 or 4 months just to get any new bike right for me. I would have bought the 05 YZF if the frame had been updated to Alum. It is a refined copy of the 03 in my opinion. I predict low sales for the 05 YZF this year & lower than usual sale prices to move them

I agree 100%

• Joe_Jet

Posted July 01, 2004 - 11:40 AM

I think we'll get the Al frame for sure.

I think the tranny on the 450 will be changed, still a 4 speed, but lighter and lower profile, and maybe some changes to the cylinder, lighter weight. The 05' has some changes to the head to smooth power delivery, but I don't know if it is totally new? It may carry over to what will probably be a new motor for the 06' to lessen weight, lower the center of mass, and fit/work with the new Al frame. I am excited!!!

Joe

• Matt96xr6

Posted July 01, 2004 - 06:33 PM

Remember the forks are all new basically. Twin Chamber designed KYBS. that is the best news!

It is pure and simple. Use the new frame on the 2 strokes to boost sales for a year while redesigning the 4 strokes. Simple marketing there.

The CRF seperate oil is a good idea, but the amount of oil used causes lots of the issue. There is simply not enough there. Get a Hinson basket and you will not get any more shavings in the oil. That is where I found most of mine came from (stock basket).

• Jeffro426

Posted July 01, 2004 - 07:25 PM

All i know is that unless yamaha does something to really improve the 450f in 06 ill be riding a 06 CR450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto-XXX

Posted July 01, 2004 - 08:18 PM

All i know is that unless yamaha does something to really improve the 450f in 06 ill be riding a 06 CR450.

Suspension aside, i think all yami did to it's 450 was change the carb, air boot, swingarm and cylinder head as major changes.

• toolie

Posted July 02, 2004 - 02:55 AM

The CRF seperate oil is a good idea, but the amount of oil used causes lots of the issue. There is simply not enough there.

I think you hit the nail on the head, not enough oil and maybe it's getting too hot and breaks down quickly. It does sound like a good idea that still needs more engineering :thumbsup:

What is the volume of engine to gearbox oil on the hondas?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 02, 2004 - 03:23 AM

Well I have a good source that tells me that the 06 Motors are going to be built from transparent aluminum, injected, 17 valves 8 intack 9 exhaust,
72:13:1 Compression and run on oxygenated hydro floro excriment from a tribe in Africa. Thats what I heard from a friend who has a girlfriedn who;s aunt works for the FBI and has a boy friend who works under cover as a hooker in Sweeden...

• Ga426owner

Posted July 02, 2004 - 04:04 AM

Suspension aside, i think all yami did to it's 450 was change the carb, air boot, swingarm and cylinder head as major changes.

And lower the compression to make the YZF more like a CRF's powerband...The suspension is a major change - KYB version of twin chamber & the shock has substantial change also. The Honda just gets a new frame - for the most part. I think the Mag test will be closer this year - like anyone cares. OH and new plastic compound to stop whitening in the blue plastic - about darn time!

• FFRacing79

Posted July 03, 2004 - 08:51 AM

John, I believe you were at least correct with the "injected" part! Tdub

• TimFurryBalls

Posted July 03, 2004 - 10:57 AM

Well I have a good source that tells me that the 06 Motors are going to be built from transparent aluminum, injected, 17 valves 8 intack 9 exhaust,
72:13:1 Compression and run on oxygenated hydro floro excriment from a tribe in Africa. Thats what I heard from a friend who has a girlfriedn who;s aunt works for the FBI and has a boy friend who works under cover as a hooker in Sweeden...

:thumbsup:. . .Not!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.