Does anybody run 50/50 w/av fuel?

18 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2004 - 03:40 AM

I was wondering if anyone runs aviation fuel in their bike?

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 26, 2004 - 04:42 AM

Pavelkod, this question is for everyone, not just you: I have to ask a curious question. I've seen countless posts about airplane fuel in bikes, and I have to know, why the attraction to aviation fuel? Is it super cheap or something?

• yzfmxer

Posted June 26, 2004 - 05:51 AM

I think that the reason that more people ask about av gas is because the avalibility of it, i mean everyone has an airport near them , like me, we dont have any gas station around here that sell anything over 91 octain, and shipping in race gas is really expensive, so av gas would sound like a good alternative, but I tried running it in my 426 and it wouldnt run? But im not sure if 50 50 would work.

• Satch0922

Posted June 26, 2004 - 05:57 AM

WHY????

• YZFan

Posted June 26, 2004 - 06:10 AM

Stock YZ motors dont need AV or any other race fuel they are made to run off of 91 octane. You will need race fuel if you go to a high compression piston. I know there will be exceptions but for the most part dont waist your money on race fuel and AV fuel. Ultimate 4 is a different story. Good luck

• jetdriver

Posted June 26, 2004 - 07:21 AM

Pavelkod,

I think there is a big posting about a week ago on this topic under "fuel." I'll address it quickly here. I am an airline pilot and have flown small aircraft for 15 years. I live on a private residential airpark. We have 100LL (low lead) here and I always hear people wanting to run it in cars or motorcycles. I highly recommend NOT running this in your motorcycle. 100LL runs very dry, and although will not hurt your engine short term, long term it will. Aircraft engines that run 100LL (100 octane) will not run very well at all on unleaded car gas. 93 octane gas from your local gas station is just fine for your bike. I run 93 (no ethanol) in my 04' YZ450 and never had any problems in any of my thumpers.

Good luck
:thumbsup:

• Fathom

Posted June 26, 2004 - 10:39 AM

We had a guy that used to put it in his Toyota. Pretty much ruined his engine with it. It would still run but it sounded like it was on it's last leg.

I also understand that the gas it formulated to be put in engines that run the same RPM for long periods of time. Just like the recips in airplanes. You take off, climb up, set the throttle, lean it and leave it until your ready to come down.

• Vibeguy

Posted June 26, 2004 - 01:54 PM

Ditto what jetdriver said. As a private pilot, aircraft builder and owner I've had lots of opportunities to run 100LL in all my stuff when I drain it out of my aircraft for some reason or another. I have run it in my 426 and didn't notice any difference one way or the other. My bike runs just fine on Union 76 premium, 91 octane. Avgas at our airport is now over $3/gallon.

I think the VP-4 would be a better choice if you want to run race gas.

• Satch0922

Posted June 26, 2004 - 02:05 PM

Vibeguy......where have you been??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DoctorRzed

Posted June 26, 2004 - 03:24 PM

I was just wondering, I used to run it in the 2-smokes and it worked great. I never used it in a 4-stroke. I can get this fuel for next to nothing. Just wondering how many people use it. I usually run VP 50/50 they usually sell it at the tracks for about $35 for $5 gallons, I can get 5 gallons of av gas once or twice a month for $8 for 5 gallons

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 26, 2004 - 04:59 PM

50/25/25

50 diesel, 25 Nitro 25 acetaminophen

That bike will fly :thumbsup:

• svotta

Posted June 27, 2004 - 04:09 AM

What's the difference between aviation fuel and VP? The guy I bought my 2004 YZ450F recommended I run 4 gallons of 93 with 1 gallon of VP. Every once in a while I get a sputter so I was considering going 50/50. There is a local gas station that sells 110 pump gas at a reasonable price. Would it be OK to run this 50/50 with 93 and see how it runs. I'd hate to run more expensive gas and unknowingly harm my engine.

• YZFan

Posted June 27, 2004 - 04:30 AM

Lets try this again!! You don't need race fuel or av fuel in a stock YZF! Only if you have increased the compression. Don't waist your money of race fuel or av fuel. The exception to the rule is Ultimate 4 it is an oxygenated fuel which uses a form of liquid oxygen and I think the octane rating of Ultimate 4 is 93. With av and high octane race fuel they are slowing down the burn rate which in turn can cause runability problems. (i.e. loss of power, bog, stalling, and its hard on the internals of you carb) The only real thing you are doing with that extra money you spent is make the exhaust smell cool. Oh and difference between av and race fuel is av fuel is made for very high altitudes it has additives so it wont freeze or jell in the high altitudes there are other differences due to the needs of the constant rpms of the airplanes. Hope this helps

• jetdriver

Posted June 27, 2004 - 06:50 AM

YZfan,
You state
"Oh and difference between av and race fuel is av fuel is made for very high altitudes it has additives so it wont freeze or jell in the high altitudes there are other differences due to the needs of the constant rpms of the airplanes."

As an airline pilot an owner/operator for 15 years, I can assure 100LL (octane) does not have anti-freeze or jelling agents. The only fuel that contains this inhibators is the Jet A fuel we put in the the big jets at the airlines, i.e. Boeing 757, 767, 777's, MD-80 etc.

Just trying to debunk some old myths.

:thumbsup:

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 27, 2004 - 09:00 AM

I never had a loss of power running race fuel??? :thumbsup:

• YZFan

Posted June 27, 2004 - 01:33 PM

If I got jet fuel and av fuel crossed then I am sorry! But you still dont need av or race fuel in a stock YZF. I also said it could cause problems like lack of power.

• gonzo

Posted June 28, 2004 - 01:27 AM

I think people want to run it just so they can say they run Jet fuel in their motorcycle.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 28, 2004 - 05:46 AM

I was just wondering, I used to run it in the 2-smokes and it worked great. I never used it in a 4-stroke. I can get this fuel for next to nothing. Just wondering how many people use it. I usually run VP 50/50 they usually sell it at the tracks for about $35 for $5 gallons, I can get 5 gallons of av gas once or twice a month for $8 for 5 gallons

You guys are totally wasting your money by mixing VPU4 with pump gas....yea I know U4 is expensive. But once you try it w/o mixing it you will see that it does give the bike more power. AV Gas will ruin your carb seals in your bikes, big NO NO!
Either run pump gas at 93 octain or straight VPU4, unless you like to rebuild your 4stroke motors and carbs all the time.
My 2cents.......

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2004 - 06:31 AM

Ga426owner is correct.

First, increasing octane by itself will not add any power to your engine unless the gas you are currently using is of too low an octane rating. You would know this if it were pinging or detonating under reasonably normal circumstances. This might happen if you increase the compression from stock, install a stroker kit, hotter cams, etc.

Octane is a rating of the speed at which gasoline burns, nothing more. Higher compression engines create more heat during the compression stroke. This causes the fuel to burn more readily, and carried too far, the fuel will pre-ignite from the heat of compression before the spark occurs. This results in "pinging", usually at low speeds. An increase in octane represents an increased resistance to compression ignition, or a fuel that actually burns slower.

If you use an octane number higher than the engine requires, you will probably actually lose power, since the fuel will not burn completely during the power stroke. Too much octane can also cause an engine to run poorly, start hard, and stall repeatedly when cold, simply because it is too resistant to ignition.

Racing fuels are different. Most of them achieve power gains through a higher oxygen content than pump gas, not through higher octane.

Racing fuels should be used "straight", as they come.

In my TT and flat track days, we used to use 100/130 avgas in 2 of our bikes that had 12.5/1 compression. It was fine for that, but in the bikes with 10-11/1 engines, we used 100 octane pump gas. Octane rating methods have changed since then as well. Modern engines do not need lead in the fuel, and should not run it, for their own good.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.