Hot FMF pipes

10 replies to this topic
  • Fyrnsmk

Posted June 25, 2004 - 07:58 PM

Sup guys, just purchased a 2000 426 with full fmf pipes. however i was riding the bike last night and noticed how hot the header pipe became, it actually glowed a little in the first elbow coming out the engine. the guy i bought the bike from said it got hot, but i just wanted to see if this was normal. thanks <font color="black"> <font color="black">

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2004 - 09:34 PM

Normal. The walls of the header are only about 1mm thick, or less. My T4 system does the same thing.

• First426F

Posted July 26, 2004 - 07:18 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem with a '00 426 that i just cleaned the carberator on. After about 30 seconds of idling it is cherry red. This cant be right. I'm afraid to ride it from fear that something is going to melt close by. The bike is new to me and had been sitting for the last year and a half. Is it too rich and still burning the fuel in the header?

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 26, 2004 - 08:29 PM

THIS IS COMPLETLY NORMAL!

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:10 AM

It's normal, 4-strokes have very hot exhaust. Check back through the threads, every couple weeks a new owner asks this same question. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fly-nBri

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:39 AM

Slap on a different header guard if your worried about getting burned. Better yet, go to Motoman's website and check out what he did. :thumbsup:

• FactoryFairbanks

Posted July 27, 2004 - 07:57 PM

That is the way a head pipe should look, that's what metal looks like at 1200 degrees.

• bushy

Posted July 28, 2004 - 04:59 AM

Its they bike way of saying,

"Ride me and stop staring"

• Hank

Posted July 28, 2004 - 06:48 AM

I love the cherrie look.... You should start to worry if your cylinder head starts to glow that color... :thumbsup: The titanium ones (Headers) get a nice blue look after heating like that.... If I picked the bike up from someone like you did you might just make sure you flush the coolant system and add back the good stuff... It will make you feel better... :devil:

• First426F

Posted July 28, 2004 - 12:44 PM

Thanks guys! I heard the same thing from a local shop so I threw a leg over and let it rip! OH MY GOD

• klokard

Posted August 01, 2004 - 08:45 AM

I have the ti4 head pipe and Q4 muffler. My carb is jetted perfectly for where I ride and the pipe does get toasty. As I am not a racer, weight was not a problem for me so I purchased a stock header guard on ebay and welded on the mounting bolts. No more burnt riding pants.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.