$24 Million for landing on your tail. Ouch

30 replies to this topic
  • Yak

Posted July 16, 2002 - 11:25 AM

what gets me is that how he knew before hand that his bike was giving him trouble yet did nothing about it. Doesnt he have a responsibility as an owner to inspect his bike and make sure it is safe to ride before he rides it. Its there any law would make sure that he made a reasonable attempt to solve the issue, before it became the fault of the manufacturer. I dont accept "his friends looked at it".

• yamaha.dude

Posted July 16, 2002 - 11:31 AM

A couple of issues arise directly out of this type of stupidity -> sue -> settlement thing.

Firstly, insurance premiums go up, or insurance is suddenly not available for dirtbike riders anymore, and

secondly, too costly or no available insurance cover means less tracks and less riding opportunities

David

• yznvegas

Posted July 16, 2002 - 12:52 PM

I never said I agree with the guy suing for something that in my opinion was actually HIS fault.

I agree with you guys there, my point is that sometimes the attorneys are more at fault than the plaintiff because they are the ones fueling this tort dabacle that we have going in this country right now.

My only point is if someone offered you x million dollars, you'd probably take it too.

• beezer

Posted July 16, 2002 - 01:31 PM

I don't blame the moron that paralyzed himself for asking for the 24 million, I blame the legal system and us for giving it to him.

I pay my employees to go on jury duty. But I'm still a weasel because I won't do it myself.

We are all responsible for this.

When you vote don't vote for lawyers.

What do lawyers and a sperm cell have in common?

1 chance in 1,000,000 of becoming a human being.

• Florida_426

Posted July 16, 2002 - 02:12 PM

Until the politicians enact real tort reform this country is going to keep going down hill. Everything we buy or do costs more and more in large due to rising insurance premiums. Our legal system had developed a personal lack of responsibility for our actions. Every doctor and manufacturer must spend a fortune protecting themselves from the lawyers that reap millions on the most frivilous cases. Sure some people have legitimate legal grounds to seek civil redress for injury or loss but this country needs real reform of our civil legal system. Lawyers advertising in priint, on television and radio make me sick. Look at the warning stickers on any new motorcycle or lawnmower; some idiot did something stupid then sued the manufacturer and won a large settlement. I was hurt at work 13 years ago. I told the insurance people, my boss and the doctors I got in a hurry and did something stupid. Yes I am toting a paralysed leg and lost control of my bladder but I kept working and took responsibility for my actions. State laws mare the insurer pay my medical bils and a lost wages settlement but I signed off on all further claims and went to work. I am an engineer now, and I taught myself to ride dirt bikes again and I am damned proud of that. Call your elected representatives and demand tort reform now before all doctors have to quit and our manufactured goods cost too much to afford. Sorry for the vent but I am pasionate about this issue. Personal responsibility is disappearing in this country. ( How did I do E.G.O.? :) )

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Florida 426 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EricZ

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:16 PM

Amen Florida 426!!!

I hear that Hillary is considering running for the next election :) :D :D !! What do you think product liability suits will be like then??? At least 10X worse. We won't have any riding areas or any motorcycle manufacturers left if she gets a chance.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:44 PM

He broke his back on a 12 foot jump? I would say that it is his falt for not drinking his milk. :)

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 10:59 PM

This is getting crazy! Two of our local practice tracks have closed in the last couple of weeks, due to insurance policies not being renewed. In one case, some guy is suing the track owner, because he broke his leg at the track. This is after paying his $20 to ride for the day, and signing the form saying motorsport is dangerous, etc, etc, and agreeing that he understands the risks involved, and by signing he supposedly takes full responsibility for his actions. Now he sues the guy, who is a great guy, who happens to love bikes, and just tries to give us all somewhere to ride legally. The other tracks policy was due to be renewed, and a hefty increase has put them out of action also. All because of the threat to insurers of massive payouts like this. Hopefully sanity will prevail, and the government will step in, and do something, yeah right.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 17, 2002 - 01:26 AM

We definitely need a cap on this. The problem is the cap would limit lawyers earnings, and it's the lawyers (not prosecuters, but lawyers as a group) making the laws..ugh.. talk about a conflict of interest. But I'm not sure who to be more mad at, the lawyers or the @#^! jurrors who OK these types of things!

• TheJeStEr1340

Posted July 17, 2002 - 05:36 AM

Vanilla, don't bash the companies, that is bull.
Florida, you are right.

I think this guy was at fault for not getting his bike checked out. Are his friends certified to work on a carb? Did they even know whick one was the throttle? How many other cases has there been like this? a little a lot? Was it just the 1 Carb? If so then it isn't the manufacturers fault. The guy knew there was a problem, it was his fautl for not taking to to a reapir shop and getting it checked. It is idiots liek this and that fall through skylights that &%$#@! it up for the rest of us decent people!

• Ga426owner

Posted July 17, 2002 - 08:11 AM

"Frivolous Law Suit" What the hell is next!!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.