CRF or YZF?? NEED HELP!

13 replies to this topic
  • SaNdSliNGer

Posted July 16, 2002 - 03:22 AM

Ok I am in a big dilemma, this is my first time I have ever posted anything I have always just read. But now I need your help. I just sold my 1999 YZ400F for 3500 dollars I couldn't pass up the offer but their is one slight problem, know one knows when the new YZF will be out and I cant wait that long to ride. Would I be dissapointed with the power of the 03 crf compared to my yzf has anyone made the change from blue to red and were they happy and what is the redline of the crf???
Thanks all help will be appreciated

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 03:41 AM

I can not vouch how the crf compares to the yz, in riding I have not ridden one yet. However, so far I can say this, I have ridden with a few crf's at the hills, Hands down my 2000 426 soundly trounces the crf. I thik that rider ability is equal meaning he falls I fall he fall again I fall again. :)

I do know that alot of yz'rs arnt impressed either.

But bottom line is, I would not turn my head to the crf at all, it is a nice bike.

If it were me, I would pluck that 3500 down on the yz and wait - train wait, then train I think it would be worth the wait

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• SaNdSliNGer

Posted July 16, 2002 - 04:26 AM

Maybe Ill just ride my girlfriends golf cart 300ex around for a couple of months and wait for the 450 that should keep my riding skills up to par :) oh well maybe ill just sit around for 2 months and realize I dont need a bike anymore and save my self 6k, or probally not maybe go nuts anyone have an extra yz thumper they want to loan me :D that would be great lol!

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 04:38 AM

Or you can ride your girl friend in the golf cart :)

Sorry could not resist that one

• SaNdSliNGer

Posted July 16, 2002 - 04:41 AM

Or you can ride your girl friend in the golf cart

That is a good idea to

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:05 AM

I really don't think you will go wrong with either bike (red or blue). If you have to have one right away, Honda is not a bad company to buy from. You might be able to get a left over '02 YZF for a good price!?

• westladog

Posted July 16, 2002 - 06:09 AM

Try the TTR125L, it will spank both bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SaNdSliNGer

Posted July 16, 2002 - 06:17 AM

Try the TTR125L, it will spank both bikes.

Well thats a thought now isnt it :) maybe ill go for a KLX hahahahaha

• 98yz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 10:07 AM

I have riden the CRF's, and would be very pleased to race and own one. It did not have the brute power that my 01 426 does, but it every bit as capable of anything thrown at it. Top end hauls no questions asked. It is suspended a bit stiff and harsh for a 195 intermediate level motocrosser. As in like 3 rates to heavy, hey but that is easy to fix as well. Personally I would wait for the 03 YZF, but I am partial to Yamaha's since I got the first one in 96.

• SaNdSliNGer

Posted July 16, 2002 - 02:15 PM

Sorry guys I went for the 03 crf450 I just couldnt wait, I will ride it for a year and when the yzf gets its 5th gear back I will trade it in. Just from puttin' around It does lack a lot of bottom end compared to my 400f but it screms like a banshee on the top end. It will do for know and oh yea it felt like it weighed about a 100 lbs lighter but the fuel tank was almost empty lol! I am almost sure my 400 would beat it on a flat out drag

• Blade275

Posted July 16, 2002 - 06:50 PM

hey dude, don't be hatin on my TTR-125L, i can tangle with the 125 2-smokes with it out in the desert!

• TheJeStEr1340

Posted July 17, 2002 - 04:54 AM

You keep up with 125's on your ttr 125? No offense, but that is a joke. I can barely keep up with 125's on my 225. and in the desert? I might be wrong, but I get blown away on straits, once the 2 stroke hits it's powerband, they start to pull away. But in tight fast trails, I get bored following a 2 stroke, they are so slow in the corners that I have to back off so I don't run into them.

• motomike137

Posted July 17, 2002 - 05:51 AM

Hope you enjoy your new Honda. But I'll tell ya, my 01 426 with a Dr.D pipe feels like John Forces Funny Car next the CRF that I rode. I know the Hondas do good lap times but I don't get paid to do fast laps, I pay to scare myself and grin. If the new YZF shares the power curve with improved boost across the board it will be a blst to ride and won't need 5 gears.

• rmarion

Posted July 17, 2002 - 03:36 PM

Good Luck Sand.

You'll love the CRF.

Ya gotta BUY, ya gotta BUY.

I think I'll wait. hehehehe

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.