Cold starting

8 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted June 25, 2004 - 12:11 PM

Probably a dumb newbie question, but I searched and couldn't find nothing. What's the best cold starting procedure (stock carb)? I understand you're supposed to kick it a bunch of times with the comp release, then find TDC, go an inch or so past, and then one slow kick. What I'm not sure about is this.....when you're kicking through wtih the comp release on, should I be pushing the kill switch button, and should I have the throttle on at all? Thanks.

• Seabass

Posted June 25, 2004 - 06:34 PM

No throttle ever!!! and keep your kill switch held down while kicking thru with the decomp lever open.

• don87xr600

Posted June 25, 2004 - 07:07 PM

not necessary to press the kill button, and kick it hard after releasing the decomp lever.

• loufish

Posted June 26, 2004 - 03:05 AM

and then one slow kick.

You're kidding, right? When mines cold it's, choke on, 3 kicks with de-comp lever pulled in, then just after TDC one BIG kick! Starts better cold then warm...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted June 26, 2004 - 04:26 AM

I dont have the flap on choke plate,8-10 strkes with decomp. lever pulled then tdc and first kick every time.always starts right up rest of day with one kick!! :thumbsup:

• JetPilot

Posted June 26, 2004 - 08:42 AM

SLOW kick to start it ? That is totally bass ackwards :thumbsup: There are different techniques to start, most of them pretty much the same, no throttle, but the one universial thing is when you go for the start, give it a BIG, STRONG, FAST kick !!! :devil:

• CJPilot

Posted June 27, 2004 - 08:23 PM

Don't know about you guys but after I installed a 68s pilot as opposed to the stock 68 mine starts like a champ. It used to be a real hard starter when cold and the new pilot made a world of difference.
As for procedures go...I run through 8-10 kicks with the decompression engaged and crack the throttle about a 1/4. Fires it up every time. Priming it with the throttle works for me. :thumbsup:

• BugTeeth

Posted June 28, 2004 - 05:11 AM

The slow kick works for me hot or cold.

Petcock open
Kill switch off
Choke 1/4 closed
Pull in manual compression release
Kick thru 10 times
Find TDC back off 1 or 2 clicks
Slow smooth stroke on kick starter
Throttle closed whole time until it starts

Throttle closed
Petcock on of course
Slow smooth kick
Starts almost everytime 1 kick

Hope that helps

2000 650R FMF 4 Full system, rejetted, K&N.

• BugTeeth

Posted June 28, 2004 - 05:22 AM

Seems what nobody mentioned in this thread is that the fast kick adherents are air cooled and the slow kick adherents are liquid cooled... :thumbsup:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.