tank capacity...

6 replies to this topic
  • Shane102473

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:51 AM

I am wanting to get back into some harescrambles. My question is, do you think I need a bigger tank for a two hour race or is my current tank good enough?

• yznvegas

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:06 AM

2-hours on a stock tank should just about o.k. It all depends on how much throttle you are using. When I'm riding with my little bro (slow, very slow). I can ride for 2 hours and not even use a 1/2 tank.

The best thing to do would be to go on a 2 hour blast and see where your at fuel wise. I personally wouldn't put a bigger tank on my bike unless I absolutely had too. JMO

• YZeezee

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:13 AM

If you're worried about being so close on gas, you may want to try using an additional tank that mounts in place of the front #plate, or something like that. As you ride it'll be the first to drain, so any effect it has on handling will be gone as soon as it runs out-I don't have one, but I believe they run directly into the existing tank-I think Acerbis makes a decent one for around $65. That way you can remove it if it isn't needed at other times...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:32 AM

I go for four hour rides and have 1/3 of a tank left. How do you guys use so much gas? :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:44 AM

Its Called WFO
I burn up me Full Tank in 2 hrs easy + - a few minutes

But then again I do have to replace the bubble gum inthat dang crack about every two hrs also :)

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• txthumper

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:55 AM

i race cross country and cant do a 2 hr race on a tank..i have a 3.2 gallon tank and have less than a half gallon after a race

• Hick

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:27 PM

My MPG experience is about 1.5 hours or more for a two gallon tank. Race avg. speed is probably always under 30, but never below 25, and lots of sand washes. I doubt I've ever got an entire hour out of a gallon.

Obviously a tighter race will use much less fuel, but even then I don't think you are going to do much better than one gallon per hour. In short, you may be pushing it...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.