Jetting for 8,000 * ft

5 replies to this topic
  • T-Gore

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:32 AM

01 426-Has anyone ran stock jetting at this elevation, if so, how did it run? Can you adjust the airscrew and get it working good? The reason I ask is I ride with 3 guys on XR400's with stock jetting and they run grea at this level,

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:39 AM

The temperature also affects the jetting. What is the temp there? The altitude will make your bike rich, but if it is cold, the temperature might be cancelled out. But if it is hot, you may have to lean the bike out.

• Dodger

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:48 AM

I don't think you'll get very good results trying to run stock jetting at that altitude. A simple way to get close, is lean out your main jet. I've got my bike jetted to run well at 6,000 ft. When I head up into the high country, I drop my main from a 160 to a 158. I believe my PJ is a 45, and I'm about 1 1/4 turns out on my PS. But like MXRider says, there are more variables to take into consideration, including temp, altitude, and atmospheric moisture. This is what works for my bike, so it's only a guide line for you.

Dodger :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • T-Gore

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:02 AM

Temps are between 50 & 80 and colder at times.

• dez4ever

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:56 AM

I have a 02 YZ426 and I recently rode at 8,000ft and above with a FMF Q pipe and it would barely run. I've found that the Q pipe really chokes off the motor at sea level or any altitude. So just like the other guys have stated set up and conditions will really affect your final decision. My bike needed a 155 main jet before it would run half ass desent, I left the pilot stock because I didn't have any.

• Hick

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:15 PM

Originally posted by T-Gore:
01 426-Has anyone ran stock jetting at this elevation, if so, how did it run? Can you adjust the airscrew and get it working good? The reason I ask is I ride with 3 guys on XR400's with stock jetting and they run grea at this level,

If your bike had an airscrew it may help, but it does not :)

Here is what worked at 7 to 9 on my ’01:

158 main
38 pilot
75 PAJ (this is the stock WR size)
EKQ #3 (this is the stock ’00 needle, which I happened to have laying around, I suppose the stock EJP would work in a pinch but you may need to try clip # 2).
200 MAJ (this is stock, but next time I will try a 180 MAJ).
1.25 turns out on idle is I think where I ended up (this is a fuel screw BTW, not air).

The biggest change that gets rid of the most annoying richness and only requires one part would be the pilot jet and dropping the needle a clip or two. At the very least you should try that, you will not be disappointed I promise.

Hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.