Air Screw Fell out - anyone figure out how to keep it from doing thats

12 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 15, 2002 - 06:59 AM

For all the posts I have read on the Air Screw screw assembly falling out, it happend, dang one hour of ride and all I got was dusty.

So as I wait for the new parts to come in (Ordered two kits) I will be taking the carb apart to clean.

From there I am going to look at creating a rubber insert that will go up into the air screw hole, to keep it from backing out.

Unless someone has another method, I thought that wrapping a small piece of teflon would suffice.

Moral of the story, check your screw occasionally, ya dont want to ride with a screw loose :)

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 15, 2002 - 07:19 AM

You shouldnt loose the screw. Although, Id say unless you spend a couple of decades in therapy, you'll always have a screw loose my friend :)

If you ordered the kits, I assumen it comes with the spring, washer and O-ring. I ended up going to a larger pilot and running the screw at 1 1/2, as opposed to running the screw at 2 or more with the smaller pilot. I was running a 42 (stock) pilot at 2 1/4 turns and found that it acted like it wanted more. I swapped the pilot and closed the screw to 1 1/2 and its crisper than it was with the 42 at 2 1/2 out and the screw doesn't fall out. Speaking of days of wasted riding, I went out on Friday afternoon ran 8 laps and loaded the circus up. Too freakin hot. Id go three and my tounge would be draggin.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 15, 2002 - 07:22 AM

I am running a 45 with it at 1 1/2, I also wrapped a very thin piece of teflon tape around it to address vibration. But I guess me Vibrator was on High :)

23 freaking dollors, gad dang oem parts,I am looking for another supplier aka Circut or Rockymountain and yes its the whole assembly...

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Littlefoot

Posted July 15, 2002 - 08:13 AM

I haven't checked the part numbers yet, but on my '99 400 I can't take the fuel screw out unless I remove the float bowl first. Maybe there is a diffference in the float bowls.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:59 AM

Try Sudco at Carb parts wherehouse, they've got everything. You might even be able to get one of them trick long ones with the t handle on it.

• Florida_426

Posted July 15, 2002 - 01:51 PM

Where did you order your kit from?
Bill Barnard

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted July 16, 2002 - 02:15 AM

It's a fuel screw, not an air screw.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 02:42 AM

My local dealer,
I got two of them
Part # 3TJ-14105-40-000
I figure on two becouse some dim wad like me will be walking up and down the camp sites asking 426 owners if they have a spare.

Mine is for sale 50 bucks :D

I did check the sudco site, I was unable to determine if the parts I found were correct. I did not call should have though. I figure this is one area OEM rules so I stuck with it. Both Kits 53 bucks

Hey Shawn Got any more of that 10 buck Glue :)

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:55 AM

Ego why didn't you just order the Kouba t-handle with the screw spring and washer. I paid 40 bucks for two of them and still have one. when I got the screw it was backing itself in when I hit the gas to about 1.25 turns out and was staying there bike ran ok but I wanted a little more so I used a little blue loctite on the threads and now it is set in place at about 1.5 to 1.75 turns out. with stock jetting also. Bike is running good finally. I know i will catch he!! for the loctite but having the t-handle on their I can just take a small pair of needle nose and should be able to break it loose. Just my 2 cents Ego, Norman Kouba is great to work with though I talked to him on the phone and he sent them right out to me at work. Frank :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:57 AM

is there a web site, How do I get in touch...

Posted July 16, 2002 - 10:14 AM

Now have you ever told me this::

"do a search" if you haven't I know someone has, do a search on Koubalink, or Kouba, or T-handle fuel screw.

or the website

check it out!! Frank

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 10:21 AM

or is it Douche'

Dang Ill do a search' :)

• joel_ruttenberg

Posted July 17, 2002 - 05:58 PM

my air screw fell out so I got a small spedometer cable and silverbrazed a T on one end and the screw on the other.Not only do I have a leash but also a remote adjuster. joel

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.