how much difference does the 51 tooth rear sproket make ?

8 replies to this topic
  • rush66

Posted June 24, 2004 - 04:21 PM

just wondering how mush diference a 51 tooth rear makes over a 49 how much top end speed do you lose and how much low end do you gain ?

• id250f

Posted June 24, 2004 - 04:28 PM

i recently put the 52 on (from a 47) ... i've only ridden on tracks since ... but I love it ... can virtually ride in 3rd gear everywhere ... definitely a loss of top speed, but I don't ride too many fire roads or long desert straights ... so not an issue for me.

• yathump

Posted June 25, 2004 - 01:37 AM

I've got a 51 on mine and it feels like i lost 15mph on the top end, i get my butt handed to me on the wide open straight but i love it for bottom end power in the single tracks :devil: :thumbsup:

• socalduner

Posted June 25, 2004 - 01:39 AM

I have the 51 and it is great for the sand and the tracks. On the trails its a little to low for me,the 50 might be better for trails. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rush66

Posted June 25, 2004 - 10:03 AM

sounds like im getting a fifty tooth then

• felony

Posted July 02, 2004 - 06:47 PM

get the 50,i have tried just about every possible combo on my 426 and the 50 is perfect.i wasnt getting enough distance off jumps with the 51 tooth in 3rd gear,sure the torque was nice but i was still shifting too much,go with the 14/50.i do mainly mx,im also 210lbs,good luck :thumbsup:

• Jeffro426

Posted July 02, 2004 - 07:12 PM

Going from a 49 to a 51, the top end loss will be minimal...a few MPH at the most.

• tricksta400

Posted July 03, 2004 - 05:29 PM

i put a 51 on my bike and i love it. I can pull 2nd or 3rd gear out of tight corners and not really have a problem. its great, you don't really feel the top end loss, well i didn't because i haven't been racing tracks that i will have it rapped out in 5th. I say get it right now, you won't be dissapointed. good wheelies to.

• TonyDeCoster

Posted July 05, 2004 - 07:54 AM

I've got the 51 and it seems like I need to shift much more than with the stock gearing. Going back to stock...

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.