hour meter for 426

13 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:40 PM

hey guys, i just came up with a cool idea to know exactly when to do maintanance on your 426f, or any bike. i simply purchased an hour meter from work, made for HD commercial equipment, and put it on my bike. now i can change the oil 5 hour intervals and check valve clearences every 10 hours or so. here is a pic http://galeczka.trip...om/DSC01577.JPG if anyone is interested, i can get these for real cheap, so let me know!

• motoman393

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:49 PM

and check valve clearences every 10 hours or so.

Why so often? I ride my bike 1-3x a week hard...and I only have had to adjust my valves 3 times in almost 2 years. To each there own I guess.

That is a pretty neat gauge...but why do you need it? Just change your oil when you feel is appropriate. Later,

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:31 AM

That will come in handy someday

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:04 PM

I didnt see the pic, but its a cool idea. I dont know if Id do it, but I can see its value.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 15, 2002 - 03:10 PM

yeah, i mean it just gives you a general idea as to how many hours you have accumulated. and i dont really check my clearences every 10 hours on the bike, but thats just an example. i think its a neat idea and only cost me 20 bucks. weighs like 2 oz or less. btw, if th epic doesnt work, copy the url into your browser and try again.

• DaveJ

Posted July 16, 2002 - 06:02 AM

It's a great idea for those of us that don't count rides based on laps or number of heats.

It would be kind of cool if Yamaha offered up something like this. Till then....

Thanks for the good post!

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Were did you get that meter.

I would be intrested in building some, that are securly mounted and attachable to the Haggle Bars

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 16, 2002 - 09:36 PM

i get them through work. i am a 2nd level commercial technitian for weingarts, north america's largest outdoor power equipment dealer. Im currently working on building a mount and clear box to accomodate this meter.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 16, 2002 - 09:42 PM

So you get them at a bulk Rate

Let see how many of these I can bulk up in me pockets :)

I have been running some designs down to build a small Allum bracket.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 16, 2002 - 11:09 AM

my uncle runs a small machine shop out od his basement. i would be able ot make some cool aluminum brackets to mount this thing. i also can annodize.

• TheJeStEr1340

Posted July 17, 2002 - 06:00 AM

If I checked my valves ever 10 hours, I would do that as often as I change my oil, actually, I don't have to change oil, just add, my valve seals are shot and it just burns up, but that is why my bike is sitting naked under a tarp in my backyard. you guys must be old. I go out and ride from 10 in the morning to 5:30-6 at night. that is almost 8 hours! that is a lot of riding, and most of it is some of the hardest lines in the area.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 17, 2002 - 08:35 AM

yeah im old as hell, im the only 17 year old still riding! i dont actually check my valves every 10 hours, but that was just an example. i too will get up at 10 and ride tills undown, but my bike isnt running the whole time. with breaks, and taking time off to eat/drink and swim in the lake next to our track, my bike is only running about 5-6 hours in that day. but you get the idea.

• armourbl

Posted July 18, 2002 - 06:19 AM

I've always wanted one of these. Count me in.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 18, 2002 - 11:29 AM

The clock is cool an all, but I want the moto track next to my lake deal :)

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.