Clutch saga part II

6 replies to this topic
  • kfrosty

Posted July 14, 2002 - 03:49 PM

FYI. Initial intro to this clip if anybody ever searches on it. Changed out plates and fibers and clutch would not disengage tranny properly. Went through the proper routines many times and through some great feedback from Ego, Vanilla and others. Took it out on the track for practice and it got a little better but still stalled 3 times. Then took it to, (believe it or not the Pro Action man.) He saw the Raptor clutch lever I have on and he said that's your problem. Come to think about it I've had problems stalling in the past but nothing like with the new plates. Plus I've been off the bike a month. I took it out of the lowest notch on the Raptor and put it in the middle and sure enough, the easiest pull notch they have doesn't pull the clutch cable far enough in to disengage the clutch. I put it in the middle. The clutch isn't as easy to pull in but at least now my clutch fully disengages. Guess the it took new plates to make to see this.

Thanks a ton for everybody who responded!!!!!

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:48 PM

good to hear that your clutch operates properly now!

• motoman393

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:56 PM

My MSR Raptor didnt engage all the way until I took all the freeplay out of the lever. Now it works much better and the feel of engagement is close to stock. The only time I move it back to the middle hole (stock position) is when I am practicing starts. Later,

Garrett

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 15, 2002 - 02:54 AM

Of Course! the Raptor clutch problem
I knew that all along
Whats a raptor clutch
:)

• kfrosty

Posted July 15, 2002 - 03:16 AM

Ego,

I have the shorty version. It's a clutch lever and perch that they have three different holes to give different types of leverage to make the clutch pull easier. The inner most hole is supposed to reduce clutch pull by 300% which isn't true but it does make a difference. With the new plates, I adjusted the clutch cables to every adjustment and still no difference.

Middle hole does work better. However, on the line, when the card turned side ways. When I revved up the bike a touch, it just shot into the gate and I had the clutch all the way in being safe. Real puzzler and there's nothing like going 1-9 for the day.

I'm ready for a new bike!!!! :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 15, 2002 - 03:38 AM

Who sells the raptor, wold like to get a look at it?

I know the new bike thingy, I am thinking of posting my 426 and ysr50 on ebay as a set, to get a 450.......
ysr has 170 orig miles and is almost showroom...

My wife says sell the bikes and get a spa :)

I say sell the wife and get a spa :D

• Boit

Posted July 16, 2002 - 02:22 AM

kfrosty; thanks for posting the fix for this problem. Letting us in on what you've found helps alot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.