OEM 650L parts to create dual sport kit for 650R?

3 replies to this topic
  • ThunderChicken

Posted June 24, 2004 - 12:01 PM

i haven't looked into it too much, more or less just day dreaming, but from what i understand you can buy bits and pieces of the baja designs dual sport kit if need be.

i'm thinking, if that's the case, would it be possible to substitute parts off the 650L in place of baja designs parts?

has anyone thought of this? i'm wondering what parts i could pull off the 650L and save some cash.

any ideas which street legal-related parts would work in a swap from the L to the R?

• Roll_it_on

Posted June 24, 2004 - 03:42 PM

Anything is possible however I wouldn't recommend it. Years ago I made my own dual sport kit to register an xr350 and I got it all to work using various parts and pieces (switches, lights, horns, etc) from different bikes. What a pain in the :thumbsup: When I did my 650r I got the Baja kit and what a breeze in comparison. In my opinion get the kit and spend your time riding not fabricating parts and pieces for the install.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlpskydive

Posted June 25, 2004 - 01:44 AM

I haven't tried it because i have a L. But, something to keep in mind is the frames are different. (Really Different) so mounting might be a problem but, they are parting out L's all the time on e-bay for cheap. Some one just bought an entire swingarm pluss all the parts attached to it including the shock for 140. That's brakes wheel etc.. so the parts are there cheap. Find a friend with an L and work out the mounting issues before you wast some money.

• ThunderChicken

Posted June 25, 2004 - 08:59 AM

yeah, you're probably right roll it on. i'm not in too big a hurry to make it street legal since i'm not getting a new bike until next winter. so i have the time to piece it together but i'd probably be better off just buying a used baja designs kit off of ebay. just figured it would save some money.

yeah, jlp, there is a lot of good stuff on ebay. i comb through that site at least once a day. we have a 650l so i could probably put it side by side with the 650r and see what would move across. who knows, now that i think about it i got about a million other things to take up my time... we'll see.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.