Dune riding

28 replies to this topic
  • acarter920

Posted July 18, 2002 - 11:01 AM

I agree with some... disagree with some...

Dune riding on 4-strokes is great! You don't need the high-revving power to get going like you do on a 2-smoke. The power is there instantly and smoothly, therefore it doesnt take forever to get going.

As far as being dangerous, a good point was made earlier that I agree with. Mud riding can be much more demanding on an engine and bike.

In the dunes, as long as you keep your airfilter cleaned, I'd say you are good to go. It does put a little more strain on your engine, but I dont think your engine notices it. Just let her cool down every now and then and I'd say you'll be good to go.

• XRider

Posted July 18, 2002 - 08:36 PM

yznvegas wrote: blah blah blah!

If you are talking about a 250 2smoke then I would agree that it would be hard on the engine but, if you ride a big bore thumper in the sand for 6 hours on a weekend, clean the filter, change the oil, grease the axles, steering head, swing arm and other like parts, (preventive maintenance) you should not have a problem.

I have ridden the same bike in the dunes 4 to 5 trips per season for five years and I never had a hint of a problem and that bike was a 500cc 2 stroke. Yes, it had a little paint missing on the bottom front part of the frame, big deal.

I don’t hear the people who have quads crying about their paint, motors and bearings on their machines.

Are Quads made with special anti sand blast coatings, impervious bearings and "sand motors"? Boy I can’t wait until they build 2 wheel bikes out of those super materials.

I was just trying to inform the people who aren’t familiar with dune riding know that they should pay special attention to those sand attracting areas of their bikes after riding in the sand.

If it makes you feel good for you to bash me in front of the internet, go ahead. I thought this was a forum where people could share there experiences and advice.

I know that I don’t know it all but, maybe someday I will and when I do, maybe I will change my screen name to J.R.yznvegas.

Take care and ride safely

P.S. when you are riding through that Nevada or California desert, be sure to avoid those nasty sand washes. I wouldn’t want you returning from your ride without all of your paint intact.

• yznvegas

Posted July 19, 2002 - 04:26 AM

Xrider, thanks for the reply, only one problem, you misqouted me. I think in your anger you made such a hasty move and cut and pasted the wrong person's post.

Have fun in the sand.

Oh, by the way, if you re-read my posts, I did say that it was fun, I just said it puts wear and tear on the bikes much faster.

• XRider

Posted July 21, 2002 - 07:43 PM

No I purposely quoted fireballsocal's interpretation of your post. Kind of a "DITO" from me.

Anyway, there are good points to just about everything that everyone has to say about riding in the sand. I just think that any bike will last the time that you would want to own it until it was out dated anyway and yes, special care should be considered when riding in the sand frequently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted July 22, 2002 - 03:33 AM

a couple years ago my buddy went to pismo for his first ride on his brandnew 2000 ktm 400[?].he had great time riding but bike has been rusting ever since.within a month after that first ride his spoke nipples were all rusty chain ,coutershaft sprocket and various other nuts and bolts were all covered in rust.rear brakes also began to stick.i know for a fact he washed bike and lubed the hell out of bike as soon as he got home from that ride.

• XRider

Posted July 22, 2002 - 04:50 AM

Now you are talking about salt damage, not sand.

• SMP

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:25 AM

Sounds like someone rode on the wet sand at the beach or possibly into the surf?!?! I have seen it before and will see it again, but it always seems to amaze me that someone would willingly ride into salt water.

• Boardercrime

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:08 AM

The sand goes everywhere but's not the main problem, it's more the engine who will heating up in the dunes. So check out if your water level is okay, i blast the water seal pump and the Cylinder Seal in the desert.
Also i cleaned the airfilter 2 times in the day !
Get also a 18' backwheel and put a michelin desert on it, alternatively a paddle wheel.
The MotoCross 19'Wheel tires aren't so good in the sand.

• freestyle111

Posted July 22, 2002 - 11:15 AM

i agree the rust is caused by salt.most of time where you find sand there will be high salt content.my point being neither salt nor sand are good for motor.sand is makes great abrasive to where coating off parts and its that much easier for salt to penetrate metal.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.