Dune riding

28 replies to this topic
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 14, 2002 - 03:10 PM

Do you guys think it is a very good idea to ride in the sand dunes? I really don't want to replace many bearings, or ruin a perfectly good engine. So is dune riding a bad idea?

• yznvegas

Posted July 14, 2002 - 04:06 PM

Dune riding is extremely hard on bikes. You will strip off your paint, ruin your bearings, and wear the hell out of your engine.

If you go anyway than make sure to remove the splash guard that guards your rear shock. You will rip it right off if you don't.

If you want to dune ride than buy an old beater, that way when you destroy it, (which you will) you won't care.

• XRider

Posted July 15, 2002 - 08:56 AM

If you go anyway than make sure to remove the splash guard that guards your rear shock. You will rip it right off if you don't.

Warning!
As stated above, you will rip off the shock guard with a paddle tire on. However, install a nylon shock sock over the now exposed shock. If you dont, it will sand blast the working parts of the shock and you will have a shot shock!

• Greg_Hall

Posted July 15, 2002 - 09:50 PM

As long as you prep your bike properly it will be fine and you will have an absolute blast!

A filter sock is always a good idea. Also as others have posted, you need to take a good look at protecting your rear shock. Remember, it is almost impossible to keep all of the sand out of anything but just as long as you keep as much deflected as you can...it will be fine.

Make sure your front tire is rim locked and air way down. I run 3-4psi and it works great. The throttle is your friend in almost any near crash...when in doubt...you know the drill!

Stay very relaxed and let the bike work under you..there is nothing like the feel of roosting in the big dunes!

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:33 AM

Can you put a cover over the shock like they do on quads?

• SMP

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:51 AM

Yes, they have a shock cover for MX bikes.

In the sand;
1. Use a prefilter on the stock airfilter.
2. Run WD40 on the chain before every ride.
3. Get a good flag/mount setup (depending on if it is required).
4. Look before you leap!!

As far a wearing your bike down, don't worry. A little extra care after every ride and your bike will go the distance.

• XRider

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:54 AM

Yes you can. I think Outer Wears makes them and I have seen my local Yamaha Dealer stock some that say YAMAHA on them.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 15, 2002 - 11:33 AM

Is there a good chance of getting sand in the engine?

• SMP

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:11 PM

Not if keep the air filter(and prefilter) clean. I have had my 426 for 2 years and have ridden primarily in the dunes in Oregon and have not had any problems with my bike.

A steel rear sprocket will also save you from rounding off the stock one. Steel ones are only $25.

• Hick

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:22 PM

Originally posted by SMP:
Yes, they have a shock cover for MX bikes.

In the sand;
1. Use a prefilter on the stock airfilter.
2. Run WD40 on the chain before every ride.

As far a wearing your bike down, don't worry. A little extra care after every ride and your bike will go the distance.

I think the whole “sand is bad” thing is a bit of an old wife’s tale. I ride mostly in sand, not always as deep and fine as the Glamis variety but sometimes it is, and I think it is much easier on equipment that even occasional mud.

Look at it this way: The dirt at the local track is likely finer, and often in a solution of water (what most MXers refer to as “mud”). If large stuff like grains of sand can get in your bearings and motor just think how much mud is ending up in there!

As for WD-40 on the chain, I don’t particularly agree w/ that recommendation. I wouldn’t put that stuff anywhere on my bike because it attracts dirt. I would recommend using a silicone-based lube on your chain.

You also need to remove your mud flap as already suggested, your paddle tire will lunch on it. When mine disappeared I bought one of those shock covers from the nice lady at the end of Gecko road…

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg_Hall

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:24 PM

It's a good idea to run foam filters on all of your vent tubes. When you end up laying it down (yes, when not if!) make sure that the airbox and all of the breather lines are clear of sand prior to firing her up again.

"Nice lady at the end of Gecko road" is none other than Sweet Marie! hope she will be able to park there next season...BLM RAMP might not allow vendors to stay setup during the season :)

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Greg Hall ]

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 15, 2002 - 01:02 PM

How many of those prefilters do you put on, and when do you remove them? PC racing makes them (Filterskins) right?

• Fireballsocal

Posted July 15, 2002 - 05:56 PM

www.GlamisDunes.com

I'm the two-wheel tech moderator and if I can't answer your quesions, there are others there that might. The user forums or bulletin boards are what you want.

You don't need a filter skin unless you will be staying out for more than several days or will be following someone all the time. I haven't ran a filter skin on my 400 ever, I make an average of 28 trips to the dunes a year, and my 99Z400 has never been apart.

The trick with the shock mud guard is to cut it about an inch above the swingarm with no weight on the bike. I have ran my bike without one and the shock still seals but I think all that sand would eventually pit the polish rod of the shock.

The sand does get into bearings but doesn't really cause any problems. At least, I haven't had to replace any parts due to malfunction yet. All bearings spin or turn free. The one thing sand really hurts is the paint, especially the underside. My underside (On the bike) is bare metal. I don't wory about it cause I rarely see anything wetter than a bike wash.

Do yourself some favors. Put on a paddle tire before you go out and go duning with someone experienced. The rollercoaster ride that someone who can read the dune can make is second to none. I go out once a month to Glamis during the summer though I take my banshee. I go every other week during the dune season and would be happy to show you the best riding I've found.

• XRider

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:56 AM

I rode the same CR500 for 5 years in mostly sand dunes and never had a problem with the bike.

I have a XR650R now and that thing is a great wide open terrain bike but, its just plain heavy in the dunes. It goes very fast and will climb everything out there but, it is a little heavy to have the amount of fun that can be had on the dunes. That is why I just put a deposit on a new Yamaha 450. I think that this bike would be a good dune machine for a four stroke.

• Greg_Hall

Posted July 17, 2002 - 04:10 AM

Another good site to visit is:

www.americansandassociation.org

Good information regarding the various dune areas across the country and the closures that effect your access. Also a BBB with some very good information.

• yznvegas

Posted July 17, 2002 - 05:41 AM

To answer the original post:

Yes, dune riding is hard on your bearings, paint, engine, and shocks.

Is it fun?? YES!!

Doe it screw up your bike?? YES!!!

• MichaelRaasch260

Posted July 17, 2002 - 08:04 PM

Dune riding is a blast. Unfortunately the BLM is trying to put an end to some of that fun.

Things you need:
-Paddle tire
-Flag & flag mount
-Filter Skin
-Clean filter before you go and clean it again when you get back. Don't be woried about the pile of sand after cleaning the filter.
-I don't put any oil on the chain because it attracks less sand
-Got Sand Sticker (optional)
-Garbage bags to bring all the trash with you when you leave (pack it in pack it out)
-Dont burn any plants or run over them either
-eye protection (the dunes are very windy)

• XRider

Posted July 18, 2002 - 05:53 AM

Yes, dune riding is hard on your bearings, paint, engine, and shocks. Doe it screw up your bike?? YES!!!

TWO WORDS OF ADVICE

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE!

• yznvegas

Posted July 18, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Xrider wrote: TWO WORDS OF ADVICE

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE

Yznvegas: Why don't you enlighten everybody here how preventative maintenance will stop sand from destroying a bike???

Why don't you tell everyone how maintenance will prevent the sandblasting effect on paint, shocks, plastics, and bearings???

Why don't you tell everyone how maintenance will prevent sand from entering your engine and destroying the internal components over time?

Would you buy a used bike from me if I rode it hard in the dunes but did good maintenance??

Another rule I live by when looking at a used bike, if it comes with a paddle tire, RUN!!!

• Fireballsocal

Posted July 18, 2002 - 07:00 AM

Blah Blah Blah. The sand can't be that bad for a bike if my 99 is ridden almost exclusivly in the stuff close to thirty trips a year and I have never even done a top end. Sounds like you got bit in the butt by a bad purchase and it soured you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.