What should I look for when buying a used YZ426?

3 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted June 24, 2004 - 07:20 AM

Howdy,

So I'm looking around at various YZ426's to buy...a '00 and '01 is the year I'll probably end up with since I'm trying to get into the bike around the $2500 mark. Are there some key things to look at when inspecting the bike prior to buying it? I'm going to check the wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, bent radiators, headpipe connection, and fork & shock seals. Anything else I should be looking at that can be visually inspected?

• 426F

Posted June 24, 2004 - 07:34 AM

I would check the air filter and oil. It is usually a good sign of how well the previous owner has kept up on maintaining it. I would probably go for the '01. Yamaha updated alot of things that year from '00. I am not saying not to buy a good clean '00 though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted June 24, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Check the Frame rails for dents - check welds at steering head/bottom of frame rails, Check oil color /condition, check airbox for how clean - tells a lot about the current owners care for the bike. Check the wear on the chain slider - pay close attn to any wear on the swing arm from the chain, Also the chain guide, look at the brake rotors/pads for wear. See how easy or hard it starts - could determine valve wear/adjustment time. Check the clutch by riding it. See if it wants to lunge forward with the clutch lever pulled in
& how the bike starts to go when letting out the clutch. See if the subframe is straight by looking at it from the rear of the bike,chain
& sprocket condition. Ask lots of questions about the maint of the bike - valve adj when? Oil changes ? Etc.. Also the accelerator pump is not sealed I believe on the 00 but is on the 01? ANYONE?. It will need to be cleaned if not already. That should get you started. :thumbsup: :devil:

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 24, 2004 - 08:24 AM

Out side of everything said above

Spin tires make sure you see no flat spots or wobble and tires spin freely no rickiting noises.

At the same time make not of brakes make sure not warped bent or cracked.

Check make sure all spokes are there and tight, can do this by running a screw driver accros them same tone should be heard or there in.

Look for Rust in welds, bolts
Look for oil leaks.

If you start the bike ask for a or bring a 12mm and slightly loosen the oil feed to the head (Right side) and make sure oil flows well.

look for cracks in engine cases, cracks in wiring or splices in wiring.

Take some one with you that has knowledge if you can and write all this down as a check list.....

last Take vin from frame and Engine
go to DMV make sure its legit

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.