Just change rings?

6 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted June 24, 2004 - 03:36 AM

Is it worth it to just change the rings if the bike seems slow but the piston is ok? Also would I have to rehone the cylinder to just change the rings if there is still a good cross hatch. Honestly I am just trying to save money because I also have to change the clutch too. The plates are fried.

• Aaron

Posted June 24, 2004 - 05:08 AM

Personally with the work to tear down the 4stroke I would replace the piston too.

• Satch0922

Posted June 24, 2004 - 08:33 AM

Aaron is right...if your gonna break the engine down then replace it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fatmancantfly

Posted June 24, 2004 - 01:20 PM

Have you ever seen a piston crack from fatigue, break and then get cocked sideways in the cylinder? Ugly!
Save a dime now and spend a dollar later.
You will not have to rehone the cylinder. Just make sure you mic the cylinder so you can order the right size piston.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 25, 2004 - 01:02 AM

Make sure the cylinder is still round (it should be), and if it is then it's most likely OK to use again. Be careful about honing the cylinder, it's plated. Make sure it's OK to hone before you do. Definitely replace the piston!

• Aaron

Posted June 25, 2004 - 05:28 AM

the eric gorr site has some good info on honing nikasil cylinders

• JSTheJack

Posted June 26, 2004 - 01:32 AM

You'll be fine by just changing the rings. If you change your oil and clean your air filter every 3-5 rides and don't abuse the bike above the norm of MXing it, you shouldn't have a problem.

I had a '02 426 and changed the ring pack after two years of fairly consistent weekend riding...at a sand track in Floresville, Tx. The cylinder was pristine, almost unbelievable with good cross hatchings. I popped in a stock size set of rings and it livened it up on the bottom to mid..where it should.

I'm 35 and still haul ass...I think. Good luck!

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.