No Grease on Airfilter?

15 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bear

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, I was reading that on some motorcycles (including the 426) it says that there is no need to use grease on the airfilter to seal it. In fact they recomend not using it. What do all of you do and/or have to say about it?

• Polar_Bear

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:18 PM

I am waiting for answers...

• neWRiver

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:33 PM

Mine's actually a 250F, but I stopped using grease because it was just too messy. I use No-Toil filter oil and when I remove a dirty filter there is a distinct "ring" of oil collected where the filter gets compressed between the filter cage and the air boot. Doesn't appear to me that any dirt is getting into the intake because of a lack of grease.

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: neWRiver ]

• yznvegas

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:45 PM

If you would have read your manual, you would have seen that the factory recommends it. I do it and a little grease on my hand is worth the piece of mind it provides. Just remember to wipe out the old grease when you do a filter clean.

• RSA210

Posted July 12, 2002 - 03:11 PM

PJ-1 Spray on filter oil,I just give the mating surface an extra coat.I've used PJ-1 for over 7 years on several different machines.Never using any sealing grease,KEY WORD-KEEP IT CLEAN!!!!!!SEE YA :) :D :D

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 12, 2002 - 04:00 PM

I just use a light coat of multipurpose grease. I was thinking of getting one of those pc racing air filter sealer thingys. What do you guys think?

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 12, 2002 - 04:22 PM

i love my pc racing proseal!

• Hick

Posted July 12, 2002 - 04:50 PM

In my experience sand/dirt is much more likely to enter the boot via the center hole than the rims. I only use stock elements because they have denser foam on the rim, and I apply extra oil there. Then I put a dab of grease on the center hole, and I always find grains of sand trapped by the grease there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blade275

Posted July 12, 2002 - 08:01 PM

can't you wait more than 6 minutes?

• yznvegas

Posted July 13, 2002 - 08:08 AM

No, he can't wait more than 6 minutes and he must not be able to read the manual either.

• zdylanh

Posted July 13, 2002 - 01:39 PM

Geez, you guys are a rough bunch! I have read the manual that says you should grease your filter; AND I have read magazines that say you don't need to grease your filter. There is really no clear cut way to do it, everyone is right! I know a lot of guys who don't agree with the manual! So why bag on a guy for a question. Who cares if he can't wait 6 minutes!!!???

• Polar_Bear

Posted July 13, 2002 - 06:22 PM

Damn...its getting hot in here!!!

• neWRiver

Posted July 13, 2002 - 06:29 PM

Originally posted by yznvegas:
If you would have read your manual, you would have seen that the factory recommends it. I do it and a little grease on my hand is worth the piece of mind it provides. Just remember to wipe out the old grease when you do a filter clean.

Here's some more piece of mind for you, but it does not come from the manual. Seems the mating area between the washer on the center bolt and the filter cage is known to allow the passage of dirt. I got the zip-ty "Air Filter Cage Ring" (even though it is not mentioned in the manual).

I like piece of mind, too and I get my hands dirty all the time. :)

• skthom2320

Posted July 14, 2002 - 03:24 AM

I use the PC Racing pro-seal gasket. No grease and no worry.

• mx317

Posted July 14, 2002 - 04:26 AM

Grease is cheap. Motors are not. Why take a chance?

• Florida_426

Posted July 14, 2002 - 04:39 AM

Ditto the use of a PC Racing seal. I installed one on my 426 and my son's CR 125(shudder :) ) We check the filters and air boxes after every ride at the local motocros track which is red clay and usually pretty dusty. I found no silt or dust bypass in the air boots. They seem like inexpensive insurance to me and I always greased the lip of my filters up until now. I am an engineer and I truly appreciate simple and elegant solutions to potentially costly problems.
Regards,
Bill Barnard

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.