Could a 426 in good mechanical but bad cosmetic shape...

8 replies to this topic
  • logansowner

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:56 PM

I have found a 426 in generally good shape for sale 45 miles from my place that have been raced and have the engine rebuilt and the valves properly ajusted. It is is pretty rough cosmetic shape though, nearly all the plactic is scratched to hell and is basicly showing it's age.

Now this bike is 5200 CDN, compared to a 2005 YZ450 at 8200 CDN. That is a 3 grand difference, or about $2000-2500 USD.

What are the main differences in the two bikes, is it basicly weight and engine size/power output? If I got this I would have to buy all new plastic and graphics (maybe the new TT graphics :awww:) and I might want to get an exhaust system for it. Can I make a 426 NEARLY as good as a new 450?

If it's like 10 pounds difference or only 4-5 horsepower, it wouldn't make any difference to me, I am used to muscling XR's around :thumbsup:

I am just trying to find out which would be the smarter choice since I don't plan to race and since I am 16 with a pretty tight budget.

Thanks guys :devil:

• Satch0922

Posted June 23, 2004 - 04:17 PM

It is very possible to have a mechanically sound bike that is a little "tattered" looking.

Not everyone is anal like me and change the plastic everytime it gets scratched ! LOL :thumbsup:

• logansowner

Posted June 23, 2004 - 04:26 PM

I would change the plastic, I have changed the plastic on all of my older bikes after a few years. I just figure it doesn't cost all that much and it makes it look way better.

Also, how much does it normally cost to have the frame shipped off and powdercoated? Most of my money would go to making it look new again, but I would probably do some engine mods to gain a bit of power aswell.

• Satch0922

Posted June 23, 2004 - 04:44 PM

Not sure what powercoating costs. Several here have done it. You have to make sure that it is done properly and that all of the oil passages are sealed. If they get sand in the frame it is near impossible to get it out and will destroy your engine.

As far as plastic ...your right. Plastic is cheap. An entire kit is only $129.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted June 24, 2004 - 02:14 AM

Though it looks good when new, Yamaha blue shows wear quicker than any other color I have ever seen. It is very possible to still be a nice bike however racing is hard on them. It will never be a 450 but it will still be a great bike especially in comparison to an XR. Not knocking the XR at all, it is just not a race bike.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 24, 2004 - 03:00 AM

I am guilty of a bike that is getting uglier. I'm an anal perfectionist about mechanical things, but could care less about the appearance. That said, the plastic may be shot but the bike is generally surgically clean and everything is in spec. Is the bike just ugly, or is it dirty? If it's dirty then walk away. Anyone who doesn't take the time to wash a bike before selling it surely didn't take time to perform proper maintenance.

• logansowner

Posted June 24, 2004 - 03:17 AM

I am guilty of a bike that is getting uglier. I'm an anal perfectionist about mechanical things, but could care less about the appearance. That said, the plastic may be shot but the bike is generally surgically clean and everything is in spec. Is the bike just ugly, or is it dirty? If it's dirty then walk away. Anyone who doesn't take the time to wash a bike before selling it surely didn't take time to perform proper maintenance.

The bike is very clean, almost clean enough to make me think he was hiding something, but I know he isn't because he has shown be recipts for all kinds of parts, it has all new valves, new piston and rings and most simple stuff has been replaced.

The bike just looks rough.

I am starting to consider just getting the 2004 on the showroom floor, it was 1500 under MRSP last month, and with the 05's arriving, it will probably go down more. And that way I will still save some money, but I will have the assurance of knowing it is a new bike and knowing for sure exactly what has been done to it.
Decisions, decisions :thumbsup:

• crf450f

Posted June 28, 2004 - 12:16 PM

The 426 and the new 450 cannot be compaired, The 450 is light and nible, the 426 feels heavy like a tank. The 450 power pulls, and never stoppes. I had a 01 426 for a year, and it ran like a champ. Cornering was hard, it felt like the front end was digging into the burm, reducing streering control. I was not to confident jumping with it. The 450 will build your confidence fast!!! I would suggest getting a new bike. :thumbsup:

• YZFan

Posted June 28, 2004 - 12:56 PM

Watch out for shock linkage bearings, steering stem bearings and wheel bearings most people never lub them. Plastic is cheap bearing and engine's arnt. Good luck

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.