WR450 - 03 Thanks for the help. A few more quesitons

3 replies to this topic
  • hoghead450

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:54 PM

I bought my 03 WR450 new, about 6 weeks ago. I am very thankful for all the help from TT. The first ride I took the bike on it was bone stock. I was not very impressed. After the help from TT, here is what I have done so far.

Air box restricter removed.
GTYF Exhaust Plug in pace of stock plug
Gray wire removed
YZ throttle stop
Rejet to 165 MJ, needle moved up one notch
Upgrade starter to 04 parts.
Acerbis hand guards
Acerbis front rotor guard.

After the mods - WOW. A completely different bike. I hadn't rode anything with that much power since my KX500.

Anyway the bike runs good, better would a JD jetting kit make it run "perfect"? ALso, is the Zip Ty screw everyone talks about replace the screw that is on the underside of the front of the carb? ( the one that takes a 1" long screwdriver) Does the Zip - Ty screw allow for tunring by hand?

ALso, would you think that I need a bigger pilot jet? Stock is 45, I see a lot of guys run 48 or 50 sizes. BTW - altitude is less than 1000 feet where I ride.

Also, got my police inspection completed and all paperwork in hand, plan on getting plates in the next few days :-)

Any other suggestions to do to the bike?

Thanks again.

• RichBaker

Posted June 23, 2004 - 04:00 PM

If you have jetting knowledge, you don't need the JD kit.
The ZipTy fuel screw is a godsend to WR owners because you can adjust it by hand...get one, or I'd recommend getting one of the brass ones available-Kouba or Scotts come to mind because there's less chance of breaking the tip off as has happened with Zip Ty's.
At your altitude a 48pj might be good...

Anyway the bike runs good, better would a JD jetting kit make it run "perfect"? ALso, is the Zip Ty screw everyone talks about replace the screw that is on the underside of the front of the carb? ( the one that takes a 1" long screwdriver) Does the Zip - Ty screw allow for tunring by hand?

ALso, would you think that I need a bigger pilot jet? Stock is 45, I see a lot of guys run 48 or 50 sizes. BTW - altitude is less than 1000 feet where I ride.

Also, got my police inspection completed and all paperwork in hand, plan on getting plates in the next few days :-)

Any other suggestions to do to the bike?

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RoosterJ

Posted June 23, 2004 - 04:22 PM

as a owner of a 03 wr 450f i would also like to share, with at least who cares that there is a possible problem to the bolts in the rotor that hold the one way clutch gear on and the sollution is not known at least at this present time. i could be the only one with this problem, so says yamaha.
and as this being as fast as a kx 5oo , i also race one of these and its almost bullet proof compared to this fragile machine called a wr 450. note nothing in maintinace schedule
about the bolts referred to. good luck with yours. mines broken.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted June 23, 2004 - 07:59 PM

First I have heard about rotor bolts, I have put over 3000 miles on mine without any problems. If noise is not a big issue I would recomend going to aftermarket exhaust, I waited a year to get mine and wished I would not have, the bike is completly different with it, loads of power over an aftermarket insert ( I used the PMB for a while). I recomend JD jetting the new needle provided is better than stock.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.