SL vs SH on oil whats the difference

5 replies to this topic
  • DJ426

Posted July 12, 2002 - 11:26 AM

I got 10-40 SL from costco will it work? :)

• Durtorpedo

Posted July 12, 2002 - 12:37 PM

I understand that 10/40 in vehicle applications has not high test results. To me oil is a cheap preventive maintenance so I use the Valvoline VR1 20w-50 and change it every 4 hours. Just my penny's worth.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 12, 2002 - 06:40 PM

If it says "energy conserving" on it (I think these are the magic words?) then don't use it. It may have additives that will make your clutch slip.

The letters mean the oil meets different standards. I'm not sure if SL meets the same requirements as SH.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blade275

Posted July 12, 2002 - 07:46 PM

look at the little circle on the bottle, if it says energy conserving on the botton then don't use it. I like to stay away from car oils. I use yamalube or some other motorcycle specific oil.

• Boit

Posted July 13, 2002 - 09:40 PM

As the letter gets higher into the alphabet, it has met stricter test limits and has ALL the properties of the one preceding it. In other words, the oils with the "L" designation meets the "J" and "H" designations and even surpasses them by meeting the "L" test. My truck owner's manual even states to use an oil with the "SJ" designation OR higher.

• DJ426

Posted July 14, 2002 - 09:59 PM

So can I use the SL chevron 10-40 from Costco or should I just pay the three bucks or more for the motorcycle oil from the dealer. When I went to the dealer they told me that the motorcycle oil has additives that also keep the clutch lubricated. Do any of you use regular car oil?

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.