oil filter

15 replies to this topic
  • DJ426

Posted July 12, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Do you need to change the oil filter or can you wash it out with gas?

• Hick

Posted July 12, 2002 - 06:23 AM

Originally posted by DJ426:
Do you need to change the oil filter or can you wash it out with gas?

You can backflush it as many times as you want, just inspect the mesh carefully for tears before you reinstall.

• PK

Posted July 12, 2002 - 07:39 AM

I wouldn't use gas as it is rough on the plastic gaskets. Try using contact cleaner and spray it out.

PK

• flyinguitars

Posted July 12, 2002 - 07:52 AM

I usually remove the gaskets, drop the filter in a jar with a little gas, shake it around a few times, then blow compressed air thru the filter to help remove any stubborn particles and viola….all done. Just be sure to visually inspect the screen and the gaskets before replacing. I bought a spare oil filter when I got the bike in Nov 2000. I just rotate the stocker with the spare if Im in a hurry. So far I have about 20 oil changes between the two filters. They’re pretty durable if you take some care handling them.
Mike

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 12, 2002 - 08:32 AM

Personally I have a problem with sticking old filters back into a bike or car.

I know they can be cleaned, but the micro sludge that is in the filter, the heat of the oil it breaks down, I do not care what anyone says on this (Personally)

For the price of after market (Frame, UNI and others) you can buy 3 to one. Plus 10 –13 bucks for OEM is a small price to pay to keep the Engine sano. You cannot see Micro tears.

That’s my opinion only

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 12, 2002 - 09:30 PM

and to add my 2 cents, now K@N is making a filter for our bikes too. Parts Unlimited number is kn-142. about 8 bucks I think but you can definitely reuse this one. Frank

• yznvegas

Posted July 12, 2002 - 09:46 PM

My oil filters are going to get about 2-3 oil changes and then get replaced. It's just cheap insurance, why spend $6k on a bike and not want to replace a $10 filter to make it run for a long time.

• flyinguitars

Posted July 12, 2002 - 10:17 AM

Well Dj...Its up to you...I must have good eyesight, I swear I could see a tear in the mesh. By no means is it a bad idea to change the filter with every oil change, but the stock one can be reused many times if it passes a visual inspection. I change my oil almost every ride so I have a pretty good idea of the current condition of my oil filter. I just see no reason to throw something out if its able to function properly. No matter what, be sure to change the oil frequently…that’s the key with these bikes.
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DJ426

Posted July 12, 2002 - 10:57 AM

Thanks very much. I think that I will reuse at least two to three times then replace. Also I purchased a case of oil from costco 10-40 weight. The manual says to use API SH the one from costco is API SL. What is the difference?

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 12, 2002 - 11:00 AM

ohhh you guys...... REPLACE THE FILTER EVERY OIL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!! EVERY SINGLE OIL CHANGE!!!!! dont reuse the filters. Just like ego said, you wont see small tears. so yah, dont reuse them, unless your a cheap @$$!

• DJ426

Posted July 12, 2002 - 11:03 AM

It sounds like many of you are changing the oil and filter every ride. What about cleaning the wire mesh how often do you all clean that?

• BAL

Posted July 12, 2002 - 01:05 PM

Give Scotts oil filter a try! The initial cost is high, but you will recoup your money quickly if you change your filter on every oil change. Currently I change my oil and clean my Scotts filter every 4hrs and I have experienced zero wear in the screen.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 12, 2002 - 01:50 PM

I have never cleaned the oil strainer, and I don't plan on it for a while. It is just to catch any forien materials that get into the filler spout. Just keep stuff out of the spout, and it should be fine. The only time you should have to open it is in the garage anyways.

• John_H

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:15 PM

Originally posted by flyinguitars:
No matter what, be sure to change the oil frequently that's the key with these bikes.
Mike

Ever looked at an oil filter screen on an XR. It's not a very fine mesh. They seem to last a long time, even when they're pushed hard.

I use the same filter until it gets mashed or twisted. I'm more concerned about it not flowing well than it letting a few tiny particles through. I just spay it clean with some brake or carby cleaner.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 12, 2002 - 06:36 PM

I thought these bikes asked for SJ? Anyway, the different letters mean they meet different standards. You can look the info up on a web site somewhere but I'm not sure what the URL is. Maybe someone can post the link for us.

• Blade275

Posted July 12, 2002 - 07:50 PM

you can clean them with spray brake cleaner but don't reuse them more than 3 times. its smarter to just replace them each time. I think they're like 5 bucks each.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.