Just bought my first XR650R (few questions)

19 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted June 22, 2004 - 07:50 PM

First off, let me say that I'm brand new to the world of dirt bikes, but have been riding street bikes for years. I just bought a brand new '03 XR650R.

First question.....how the hell do you resist pulling wheelies from every stop sign???

Second question....I'll be using the bike for commuting now and then. I added a decent headlight and brakelight, but was wondering about getting some type of ignition switch, or hidden toggle ignition defeat switch for security purposes...any suggestions?

Lastly.....we've got some motocross tracks here locally and I was wondering if bikes like mine are welcome at mx tracks, or if people would look at me like a big dummy for showing up.

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with this bike so far. My current bike is a Harly Fatboy, and having the XR to play around on has been a total blast so far. I'm going to get new tires, since I'll be riding to all my riding spots, not trailering, and those knobby's kinda suck on the road. Any suggestions for a decent 50/50 dirt/road tire? I can't really justify a knobby tire when an honest 50 percent or more of my riding will be on pavement.

Cool site here, thanks for helping a newbie out.

Chris

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 23, 2004 - 02:57 AM

Congratulations! You don't resist wheelies! Just don't let the cops see you...driving to endanger. Pirelli MT-21s are not bad on road or off road. I think a heavy, powerful bike with 50/50 tires would be a handful in the dirt. Sure, a few people might get a few laughs about the BRP at a MX track (more if you had 50/50 tires on), but who cares. Just go have fun. And if you go fast enough, no more laughing.

• chunkytfg

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:04 AM

listen if i can go to an MX track on my BRP with supermoto rims/tyres on then 50/50 tyres should be no problem....just dont expect massive levels of grip :thumbsup:

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:51 AM

Thinking about it...Doug Henry took a lap at Southwick on his supermotard bike. Even though he had trouble just doing a lap in the sand with the slicks on, I don't think too many were laughing at him.

• Moredesert

Posted June 23, 2004 - 08:55 AM

I used a key switch off a DRZ400. There on ebay all the time. Maybe look on the DRZ page. :thumbsup: Remember keep at least one wheel on the ground at all times

• Kritter

Posted June 23, 2004 - 09:19 AM

at first people laugh...I am guilty of that. There is a guy who rides his dual sport to Glen Helen all the time and at first I was like..."what the hell is this guy doing". THen I watched him and in jeans, some old school boots, and helmet he ripped that course up,lap after lap, clearing jumps I couldnt clear and then rode off the track and rode on home. I was told from some freinds that the guy has been doing it for years and it showed by how fast he was.

It was an old XR 400 or 600, but I was impressed. Another thing...let all the guys make fun, cuz unless they are beating teh little bastards on the 60s and 65s...they can be made fun of too.

I know those little green and orange bikes rip by me like no other...

• JR650

Posted June 23, 2004 - 10:07 AM

the pig jumps pretty good actually. The michelin Baja is DOT in 140/80/18 at least in Canada for sure. Works pretty good off the road, not sure about on, JR

• scdual

Posted June 23, 2004 - 11:31 AM

I have seen that guy at Glenn Helen before to. That always puts everything back in perspective for me, that guy on his old xr400 smoking allot of people on new mx bikes-too cool!

• honkylips

Posted June 23, 2004 - 05:07 PM

I used a key switch off a DRZ400. There on ebay all the time. Maybe look on the DRZ page. :thumbsup: Remember keep at least one wheel on the ground at all times

How did you mount it/wire it? I'm assuming that you got rid of the kill switch of the bars, and then re-routed those wires to whereever you mounted the ignition switch?

• JetPilot

Posted June 23, 2004 - 06:34 PM

Lots of people have been saying Dunlop 606's are the perfect on and off road combination tire, ride good and last a long time on the road, and just enough knob to work in the dirt also. I just ordered a set for my bike :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted June 23, 2004 - 06:35 PM

I don't know if you have uncorked/jetted your new bike properly or not, but you should if you haven't. The stock XR650R is very slow and boring. Once you do the uncorking/jetting, the XR650R will absolutely freakin' rip!!
Wheelies will be unavoidable even at the crack of the throttle, which is what I like. Any "good running" bike under acceleration SHOULD keep the front wheel slightly elevated above the pavement. I also like a bike which requires the rider to lean forward and squeeze the tank with the legs, in order to remain on said bike. Such a bike has true power and the XR650R can easily accomplish this task by simply doing the necessary uncorking/jetting procedure.
Have fun man!
LL
Posted Image

• heliosstudios

Posted June 23, 2004 - 09:12 PM

Security system... hmmm, check this out, or even this.

With a bike, it's even easier to wire an alarm than a car. The wiring harness is much simpler and shorter, but do not rely on a Clymer wiring diagram, it's useless... perhaps the Honda shop service manual is better. But someday I've got plans to make a bike alarm that goes off when somebody even comes close to the bike. Until then, in google we trust. :thumbsup:

• chunkytfg

Posted June 23, 2004 - 09:20 PM

Security system... hmmm, check this out, or even this.

With a bike, it's even easier to wire an alarm than a car. The wiring harness is much simpler and shorter, but do not rely on a Clymer wiring diagram, it's useless... perhaps the Honda shop service manual is better. But someday I've got plans to make a bike alarm that goes off when somebody even comes close to the bike. Until then, in google we trust. :devil:

Those links are a bit useless TBH coz they both require a power source...THe XR650 doesnt have a battery :thumbsup:

• tirebiter

Posted June 24, 2004 - 03:34 AM

honkylips,
One tip-keep an eye on your spokes! Sucker's work loose in the rear when the bikes new. After a few rides they seem to settle down...

• don87xr600

Posted June 24, 2004 - 04:02 AM

Those links are a bit useless TBH coz they both require a power source...THe XR650 doesnt have a battery .

A dual sported bike should have a battery.

• JetPilot

Posted June 24, 2004 - 06:26 AM

Why should a dual sported bike have a battery ? I sure has heck dont need my lights to work when its shut down. Thats just a lot of useless weight to carry around. :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted June 24, 2004 - 06:55 AM

I just picked up a Baja Designs quick release kit for my pig and it has a battery pack. Helps out a lil. I was a lil depressed about the weigh of the system, but oh well. I was very pleased to find out that BD just modifies "Honda" parts, which is nice. Not some cheap alternative.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 24, 2004 - 09:20 AM

I don't mind the weight of the BD regular DS kit. I can lose or gain that much any given day!!! Or you could just replace the stock silencer and save more than the kit weighs.

• TimBrp

Posted June 24, 2004 - 09:47 AM

I'm imagining the kits all have the same components. The headlight assembly is just a lil heavy. Salty I'm heading to the registry next week, wish me luck.

• Husky_Forever

Posted June 25, 2004 - 03:23 AM

The BD kit has a battery because some states (like California) require the lights to work with the engine off. That requires a battery.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.