Sucking Sound Near TDC

1 reply to this topic
  • Smegol

Posted June 22, 2004 - 06:32 PM

Recently my 400 has been down on compression, and it is getting really hard to find the "right" spot with the decomp lever. I'm getting rather tired of it kicking back and trying to break my ankle. It even put a hole in my shoe the other day :thumbsup: :devil:. Anyway, I decided to check the valves and all of them are in spec except for the far right intake (right being the clutch side), which is right at the limit of being in spec or not (.14 - .15mm). But one thing that caught my attnetion is I can hear a sucking/blowing sound coming from around the valves near TDC and was wondering if this is normal or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 23, 2004 - 12:46 AM

You might be hearing the piston blow-by that is happening in the crank case, which is connected to the valve area by the opening that the cam chain runs through. If you have leaky valves then you would be able to hear them through the exhaust pipe and/or intake side. Put your ear at the end of the exhaust (disconnect the spark plug wire!) and have someone slowly kick it over and listen for the hissing. Do the same but put your ear on the carb side with the throttle open. If you hear any hissing then those valves are leaking.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.