Spark on Compression and Exhaust???

5 replies to this topic
  • Thumper_YFZ

Posted June 22, 2004 - 04:01 PM

Just finishing up a rebuild on my YZ450. How do you know what stroke the crank/piston is on? Or does this bike fire the ignition on both the exhaust and compression stroke? I have read the manual and searched this forum and have not found anything about this.

I have the I lined up and the piston is at TDC however, there are two TDC's on a four stroke. Just woundering if it mattered.

• Fastest1

Posted June 22, 2004 - 04:21 PM

I believe it does fire on both. Check with FFR, but there has been a recent post regarding this. :thumbsup:

• Thumper_YFZ

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:45 AM

I searched this site for all kinds of key words and did not find another thread regarding this issue. Do you remember the subject line?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:50 AM

TDC == Top Dead Center. Most 4-strokes fire on each revolution, it's just easy that way. I don't know if these engines do or not, but if I had to bet I would bet $1 that they do fire every time the piston gets near TDC.

To tell if it's on compression or exhaust stroke with the plug out, look at the timing marks on the cams (or the cams themselves).

• tzracer46

Posted June 23, 2004 - 12:26 PM

It fires on both compression and exhaust. In order for it to only fire on compression you would need to run the ignition pickup off of something running at 1/2 crank speed such as the cam shafts. Firing on exhaust also helps to clean up emissions by helping to reduce unburned fuel in your exhaust, which in turn keeps the tree huggers happy. :thumbsup:

• FFRacing79

Posted June 23, 2004 - 03:08 PM

TZ is correct...fires every revolution. Tdub

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.