Metzger's backflip

67 replies to this topic
  • grashoper250

Posted July 11, 2002 - 04:14 AM

www.freestylemtx.com has Metzgers backflip on video. He made it look easy. According to the website, Pastrana also has the backflip down now too.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 04:52 AM

I think that what these guys do are great and I can really appreciate the talant or Cahona's it takes to do this.

But I do have a real problem with the image this portaits to kids that think they can do it all. There is a dark side to the Freestyle world that no one seams to talk about.

Kids every year who look up to these guys are getting hurt real bad as they attempt to do these stunts. Kids are shattering bones, becomeing paralized and worst dying in an attempt to be like these guys.

I wish I could see these guys really make an effort to tone down the coolness they try to represent.

I dont know just trying to start a thought thread here.

• beezer

Posted July 11, 2002 - 04:58 AM

MX tracks are now jump, turn jump jump, turn and jump due to the influence of freestyle and supercross. When I go to the local sand pit I see the ramps these kids have made trying to emulate the freestyle boys. They are going to meet Mr. Pain and he is not a nice guy.

• yznvegas

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:03 AM

Ego wrote: Kids every year who look up to these guys are getting hurt real bad as they attempt to do these stunts. Kids are shattering bones, becomeing paralized and worst dying in an attempt to be like these guys.

Yznvegas: You have a point but don't kids break stuff everyday riding moto's too? Look at some of the ridiculous triple jumps out there now, those are very dangerous too.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:08 AM

Vegas,
I agree with that totally, Beezer puts in a good point also that coincides with your thoughts.

Supercross used to be a good sport with somewhat of a outdoors kinda layout. (If thats possible in a stadium)

Now it is as beezer points out Jump Turn Jump Turn Jump Jump Jump Turn

Out doors have become as bad also. The Euro GP's are still holding form to the out door old style tracks....

But heres another point,

I broke my right shoulder, right elbo and sprung my right ankle, at the same time jumping garbage cans on my Schwin stingray as a kid.

I wanted to be like Evil K, The diff here I see is I had a helmet on and my leather mx pants on.
Evil always wore a helmet and advocated safty.

These guys you see in the Vidio's no helmet no shirt no safty

Where is the acountablity there...

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• kfrosty

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:18 AM

Actually, Ego I think there are several that agree with you. I think I saw this on Racer X Ill website. Or maybe it was msnbc news or something but they pretty much had the same thoughts as you.

Ok, I'll play this from the other side. Not claiming it's the right side but more so food for thought in an interesting conversation. (So no FLAMES please. :)

There's nothing wrong with pushing sports to new heights. I wonder if the same things were said about BMX when it was first introduced. (Maybe not because the ramnification are probably not as bad as missing it.)

As for kids emulating them again I would tend to think that goes back to the parents. I had idols when growing up and am a pretty decent rider and I would never contemplated on doing something like that because I knew the risks and the rewards and I valued my life and the things I have more than that.

So that makes me ask why kids would do such things. Probably because they want to emulate their stars. But deeper than that is it because they are deprived of attention or have not been taught to appreciate life and what all it has to offer and make them realize that risking life and limb for a flip isn't worth the reward. If a kid has the make up to where they don't comprehend this or just doesn't care then maybe they shouldn't have a bike until they can show the responsibility and understanding that they at least need to master the bike on the level of a Pastrana or Metzger before they attempt it.

Just like the kid in FL who killed a girl emulating his favorite wrestler. How can you blame wrestling, TV or any other thing. Ideas for things are going to come from everywhere and you can't shield kids from everything but you can establish values and help them figure out things along the way. (And no I'm not a wrestling fan and I'm sure there are exceptions to this.)

On the flip side, the way society is now and always looking for somebody else to blame for problems, what would concern me (outside the shear fact these poor kids are getting hurt.) is the fact that the naysayers are only going to focus on the negatives and the injuries could just get twisted and associated with dirt bikes and give these individuals ammo when trying cut out riding areas and such.

• yznvegas

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:25 AM

Kfrosty wrote: So that makes me ask why kids would do such things. Probably because they want to emulate their stars. But deeper than that is it because they are deprived of attention or have not been taught to appreciate life and what all it has to offer and make them realize that risking life and limb for a flip isn't worth the reward.

Yznvegas: Geese, you think Pastrana is starved for attention??? Wow, you are looking into this way too deeply. I think it is more a matter of these guys going, "ok, weve done 5,000 supermans and that is boring, lets push the envelope a little further.

This is just a matter of how sports progress, by pushing the envelope.

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 11, 2002 - 07:19 AM

I don't know what to say about this, Hmmmmmm, well where would pastrana be today, or metzger or any of the freestyle guys, they took the chances back when they first started trying these tricks. I am sure plenty of them have gotten hurt many times trying tricks. I would love to be able to do a superman, or even just a real nice whip, but I don't want to hurt me or my $6,000 bike. But everyone has to try some jumps and everyone thinks about it while in the air (I can throw one leg off, then the other then no hands) some people will crash others will get good at it. Point is, kids are always gonna look up to their elders and wanna do what they do. The image that some of the freestylers are showing is extreme and yes that probably hurt some kids, they should probably be ratings on such movies but you really can't rate the x-games and such. I guess I have a two sided view on this because you never will learn freestyle if you don't try but you definitely can get hurt trying also.......... :) Frank

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 11, 2002 - 07:35 AM

You guys should watch the ultimate-x movie in the imax theater. It's really entertaining, but at the end they do have (admittadly a small amount) of talk about injuries. They show the guy miss the superman seat grab and bounce off the ground (talk about give me the willies). They they ask some of the guys to list their injuries, and after hearing some of them I'm shocked that the guys are still around to talk about it!

I agree with the values thing. The parents need to teach the kids about reality, that's a parents job. Kids are kids and sure most will try some risky stuff, but jumping garbage cans and trying a flip are 2 totally different things! There is always going to be that one town idiot who will never listen and do it anyway, but the people who participate in the x-games have to come from somewhere. :)

• dhowell

Posted July 11, 2002 - 07:36 AM

Kids are going to do things be it a dare, to impress someone or just for the heck of it. We have all been there before. I can't begin to count the times I thought I was having the time off my life until I got hurt. Luckly, I have never been seriously injured (knock on wood). All we can do is try to teach the ones we bring along be it your kid or the kid down the street to wear some protective gear and try to think before you do something.

My godson thought that freestyle was the coolest thing out and couldn't wait to try some of that stuff and get "air" as he puts it. But, after getting him a pw80 and teaching him how to ride and about the right gear to wear, I think he has a new respect for the sport. Will he try something stupid? I am sure somewhere along the line he will do something. I just hope he has on the right gear, doesn't get seriously hurt and can learn from his mistake. That's all I can ask because he is going to be a kid no matter how much he sees on tv or how much someone yells out the window to slow down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dhowell

Posted July 11, 2002 - 07:39 AM

By the way, the backflip is cool as hell!!!

• bullitboy

Posted July 11, 2002 - 07:54 AM

You can almost tell who has kids and who doesn't. :D

Everything said above is accurate, but it is natural for people (parents) not involed in a particular sport or hobby to look to place blame. The parents do not understand. It is kind of like the guy who sues a MX track because he crashed and got hurt. Not to mention he was rididng a dirt bike and trying to jump a 90' triple?!

In reality these freestyle guys are only doing what they enjoy. Plus they are getting paid to do it. That's the kind of job I want. :)

The lack of safety gear is for effect and sensationalism. That is what sells videos. Soon you will see safety discalaimers just like on MTV's Jackass. However, that won't stop anyone from doing what they want to do, impress chicks, right? :D

I say let people do as they please, teach your children well and they will likely do the right thing.

• yznvegas

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:01 PM

Well put Bullit boy.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:08 PM

BullitBoy

You Say

I say let people do as they please, teach your children well and they will likely do the right thing.

So how do you explain the Spikes in peoples Faces and peircings and tattoos and all the stuff these safty concious freestylers wear?

Thats another part of the sport I dont understand, So to be a freestyler ya gotta have a nail sticking out of your chin and a custom paint job on your body.

Dont get me wrong I have a pierced ear (Drunk That Day) and a couple tats, but nothing in comparison to the body butchering that you see.

To me thats trailor trash and isnt teaching anyone anything.

And leting your kids be what they want to be is good, but Constraint and boundries and consequences is what is needed..is like turning a blind eye to your kids to let the street raise them. Ya you are right about you can tell who has and who has not kids

Just keeping the thought alive.

Great posts here good thread.

• beezer

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:48 PM

My solution to all this is to buy my own track. I hate freestyle, tattos and piercings. Myself and 2 buddies are looking for property so we can start our own track. The one track in the district that is obstacle free gets double the turnout of any other track. I'm in the process of coming up with the track rules now. The best rules have come about after a few Heinekins.

1 Track to have a maximum of 5 jumps. No doubles triples or rythymn sections.

2 Any one tattoo or piercing free gets to run an
extra practice free.

3 No fat girls in tube tops.

4 Any parent caught berating their child will be asked to leave.

5 No pressure washers.

6 No loud stereo's unless I like what they are playing.

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:56 PM

Yes this a is good thread and has brought up some very good points. NO, I don't have kids(don't know if I ever will)but I can definitely say that one day if I ever have a son then he will ride motorcycles. I really just wish that I could have been introduced to them at a younger age and maybe would have had the chance to race.

Now also I see what you are saying Ego about the piercings and tatoos all over these guys, It seems to me that that has just become the norm throughout the country in the past couple of years, I have four tatoos and both my ears pierced. Growing up it seemed as people with tattoos and piercings were weird. Well call me weird now because if I had a dollar for everyone person just in the people I hang with that have tattoos and piercings I wouldn't have to work for a while LOL. I don't know guess I just like it, and you only live once!! Peace! Frank

• YZF250Forever

Posted July 11, 2002 - 10:20 AM

I am 13 years old and ride a 1997 RM 125(soon to be 2003 YZ 250F) and I know my limits. Now . . I had a TT-R 125 and there was a 5-10 foot double at this place I ride at with my dad. I had done it thousands of times and decided a one hander wouldn't hurt. I went at it and was paying so much attention to the one hander I cased the jump bad enough to flip over the handle bars. No broken bones but a valuable lesson learned. My dad asked me how I crashed and I said I landed on my front end to much and fell over the front, typical kid I know. I see the X Games and I have a great respect for every one of them but I know that it took lots of experience for them to do their first no hander or whip. I can't wait for the day that I can lay it sideways but I don't have to do it now. There is no point. In a few years I might try some things to show off but not for now. I look up to Travis Pastrana more then any of the other freestylers. He for one is only 4 years older then me. He also is a good guy. He has no peircings or tattoos and that is great. I don't know why people do that anyways, to get that bad boy image I suppose. I think you'll earn more respect in the long run by being the 'good boy'. Well I just realized I this probably doesn't make much sense but I tried. I hope it makes sense to you.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 12:58 PM

YZ250Forever
You make a lot of sence and it sound real good coming froma 13 year old. I hope the best for you in the years to come.

I too think that Travis is a great attribute and ambasador for the sport. Just wish there were more like hime.

My point on the Tatoos / peircings (Bad Boy Image) was to make that point, FastFrank, I hope you did not take it wrong from me. The image thng s a reflection of the sociaty we live in, Unfortunatly the result is snot nosed lil brats that show no respect at all for life or anyone else's life for that matter. It goes beyond anything we can imagine I thnk, Music , culture and attitude of people are just in the toilet.

• YZF250Forever

Posted July 11, 2002 - 01:29 PM

Hey about the music. Our music is great. When you were a kid (I don't know how old you are) what did your parents think of your music. Just a thought. It seems everybodys parents don't like what there kids listen to.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 01:35 PM

Nooooo Your music Sucks

Our music was great

Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Beatles and so on

what do you have Nine inch nails, Insane clown, egad

I am my parents :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.