Michelin H-12, M-12 ,S-12

28 replies to this topic
  • bullitboy

Posted July 11, 2002 - 07:34 AM

I went from the stock tires to the M-12 front and s-12 rear combo. At first I loved the front, hated the rear. However, the more time I had on the s-12 rear, the better it got. I know the tire didn't change, but I got used to it. The only thing I still do not like is the tire seems a bit unsettled on extreme hardpack. It keeps your attention level up for sure.

I have heard quite a few complaints about the M-12 rear, I would never buy one.

I have a couple of buddies who ride the Maxxis rear and love it. Seems like a good tire.

I will stick with my s-12 rear and m-12 front combo. Seems to be a very good all around and they have excellent wear characteristics.

I dont't think I would use the s-12 front, unless I rode in mud or sand everyday. These are too unpredictable in anything else.

Lay-tur. :)

• Mark_UK

Posted July 11, 2002 - 08:20 AM

used s12 front and back combo for about a year
tires work great

s12 front is a year round tyre

no have a m12 back s12 front,,,
the back end slides out,,, but always under controll,,, i kinda like it,,,

next time i think ill just stick with s12s

• neWRiver

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:06 PM

Seems like there's different opinions on M12 vs. S12 when you consider front vs. rear. M12 front with S12 rear seems to get the most votes.

I've just gone through an M12 rear with the M12 front (front is still good). I bought two M12 rears, so I'm mounting up the second now. I ride a good mix of sand, rock and dirt. Really like the M12 front and I'm going to stick with it. The M12 rear has held up fairly well and works pretty good for me, but it does like to get out on slick turns and does not dig very well on the loose hill climbs (I liked the 756 better). I'm going to try an S12 rear next chance I get.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 11, 2002 - 10:22 AM

went from the stock tires to the M-12 front and s-12 rear combo. At first I loved the front, hated the rear. However, the more time I had on the s-12 rear, the better it got. I know the tire didn't change, but I got used to it. The only thing I still do not like is the tire seems a bit unsettled on extreme hardpack. It keeps your attention level up for sure.
I have heard quite a few complaints about the M-12 rear, I would never buy one.

I have a couple of buddies who ride the Maxxis rear and love it. Seems like a good tire.

I will stick with my s-12 rear and m-12 front combo. Seems to be a very good all around and they have excellent wear characteristics.

I dont't think I would use the s-12 front, unless I rode in mud or sand everyday. These are too unpredictable in anything else

Seems like there's different opinions on M12 vs. S12 when you consider front vs. rear. M12 front with S12 rear seems to get the most votes.
I've just gone through an M12 rear with the M12 front (front is still good). I bought two M12 rears, so I'm mounting up the second now. I ride a good mix of sand, rock and dirt. Really like the M12 front and I'm going to stick with it. The M12 rear has held up fairly well and works pretty good for me, but it does like to get out on slick turns and does not dig very well on the loose hill climbs (I liked the 756 better). I'm going to try an S12 rear next chance I get

<font color=blue><h1>DITTO</h1>

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kfrosty

Posted July 11, 2002 - 03:55 PM

Try the Starcross MS 2's. They are a soft terrain tire but they hook up in everything pretty good. I ride hard packed red clay during the week and then loamy, groomed tracks on race weekend. The tires hook up in pretty much anything. And believe it or not they last. The M-12 is good for about 1 or 2 rides in either hard or soft stuff. Have after they lose their edges they suck in anything soft or slippery.

The starcross's you wouldn't think would run as good as they do. However, most of the people I race with, once they try them they usually stick with them.

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:32 PM

The reason I went with the S-12 front is the offset side knobs seem to grab better than the normal style front. And it seems to clear better for me. I have NEVER had a problem with the S-12 front sliding out from under me, mud, soft, hard, or rocks never had a problem.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted July 12, 2002 - 09:13 PM

No... Rocky is all out of S12's

• neWRiver

Posted July 12, 2002 - 10:27 AM

Originally posted by 696:
The reason I went with the S-12 front is the offset side knobs seem to grab better than the normal style front. And it seems to clear better for me. I have NEVER had a problem with the S-12 front sliding out from under me, mud, soft, hard, or rocks never had a problem.

Sounds like the S-12 is probably a good dirt tire. One of the reasons I went with the M-12 is that I ride a lot of rocks and was looking for less aggressive side knobs on front. When I had the 756 on front it turned very well, but tended to get a little skittish in straight lines through uneven surfaces and rock piles. Also, the side knobs tended to want to chunk.

• jschner

Posted July 14, 2002 - 01:21 PM

In the stuff I ride on I would never had bought a soft terrain tire. However, the S12's come stock on the Dales and I was pleasently surprised how well it has held up in the rocky stuff. I have about 500 miles on my set with about 200 or 300 miles left on the rear riding mostly on shale type rock like in the pic.

Posted Image

Here is a pic of my S12 rear tire after about 350 miles of use:
Posted Image

My S12 front slides just a bit on gravel and wet clay is interesting with the rear but overall they ROCK!, pardon the pun. However, with a flat rear the S12 seems to have almost no sidewall support. I was going to try an M12 next but after all your input maybe the S12 is the better tire overall. Anyone try the H12 yet?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.