Michelin H-12, M-12 ,S-12

28 replies to this topic
  • YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:27 PM

I ride at Haspin Acres in Laurle, In at least once a month. Early this year when Ohio and Indiana stayed real wet, my friend discovered how nice the Michelin S-12 is on about any ground.

Mid March my Friends and I all went riding to haspen, When we got there it was Sloppy WET & Muddy, All of us had Dunlop’s except My Buddy on his KX250, We all got stuck on the hills but him. Then on the track he tore us up, and he's one of the slower track riders. Then he proved two days later how it did on a dry hard packed mostly clay track. I made the switch to the S-12 and I love it on every kind of ground, MUD, Hard Packed, Rocky Ground. It is holding up pretty good to.

Has any one else tried any of these Fine Michelin tires???

• edareus

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:43 PM

Yes, fine I wouldn't say. I have a M-12 on the back of my 400 and I ride mostly woods. Rocks and roots kind of stuff. The tire has about 4 rides on it and is trashed. I won't be buying another one. My buddy has a IRC tire on the back of his CR250 on about 12 rides and it still looks new. I am going with that tire. I have to be fair though, I don't ride mx so I don't know how the M-12 would hold up on a track. It just doesn't work for my kind of riding.

• oldblue

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:46 PM

I've used the M-12 and couldn't stand it. It was horrible on turns especially when the ground is a bit wet (which is often in Oregon). Had a lot of luck/traction with a Dunlop 756 other than the fact that it wears very quickly. My next tire will be a Maxxis IT. Heard nothing but good on it.

• YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:00 AM

I beleave mine has stood up to my agressive riding well, i was told to run only about 8-10lbs of pressure, I think it hooks great in corners, roots and rocks it works , but it was made for soft ground.

• edareus

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:31 AM

:) If I ride with 8 to 10 pounds of air in my rear I won't be riding I will be replacing pinch flats! You wouldn't be riding the rocks I am that is for sure.

Oldblue
Keep us posted on the Maxxis IT. I have heard rumors but don't know anyone who has tried them.

• YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:42 AM

I ride with 10lbs , I weigh 220lbs, I ride both track and hilly woods with plenty of roots and rocks, (Cross my fingers) I haven't had a flat or a bent rim yet!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:53 AM

YamaFreak
I may be wrong here but the s-12 is a produced for sandy type of terrain the m-12 is soft to medium and the H-12 is hard pack rocks and so on.

I really find it hard to believe that the s-12 holds up so good for you as you say in your posts.

I run Dunlop 756's and there getting pretty beat up in the hard pak dust bowl I ride in.

Sorry if I am doubting Thomas here, but be honest how hard do you push the bike and your ability ?

• dp400

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:57 AM

S-12s rock!! I road all winter on a set of S-12s and LOVED them. I ran a desert ride a month ago and went to the M-12 and I'm not thrilled with it.Seems to slide all over and the wear isn't as good as the S-12. So if you've tried the M-12 and didn't like it don't give up on the S-12.GREAT TIRES !!!

• MANIAC998

Posted July 10, 2002 - 01:54 PM

Ditto. I now run the S-12 rear, and find it to be excellent. Now I want a front to match it. Any ideas? I run woods, rocks, roots, etc..

• skoobeesnak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 02:24 PM

I have a '99 YZ400 and replace my POS Dunlop 739G with an S12 front and a M12 rear combo. I like the front tire much better than the rear. I ride in Utah where it always seems to be rocky or hard packed with a little bit of sand here and there. The M-12 rear works well in softer dirt but once it has dried out or is packed it wants to step out in the turns whenever I get on the gas hard but to it's credit it is very predictable and easy to control when it does slide unlike the stock tires. Just my two cents worth. BTW I am running about 15lbs front and rear....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 03:51 PM

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:
YamaFreak
I may be wrong here but the s-12 is a produced for sandy type of terrain the m-12 is soft to medium and the H-12 is hard pack rocks and so on.

I really find it hard to believe that the s-12 holds up so good for you as you say in your posts.

I run Dunlop 756's and there getting pretty beat up in the hard pak dust bowl I ride in.

Sorry if I am doubting Thomas here, but be honest how hard do you push the bike and your ability ?

I Understand. If it wasn't for my buddy taken the last tire his dealer had in stock a day before our ride, I wouldn't have ever tried it. I'm very happy with it, and I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it that’s all. After all I live in Ohio that means hard packed ground, Mud, soft as sand and plenty of rocks within a couple miles; we get it all 4 seasons here.

• YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 04:03 PM

Originally posted by E.G.O.****:
YamaFreak

Oh and by the way , they make Rev limiters for a reason right?? I use mine, Often!!!!

• YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 04:24 PM

Hey EGO!!! I just watched your Egosbail , LOL!!! If you had a S-12 you wouldn't have lost it there!! Yes I wreck to , alot, But only because "I push my bike and my ability!!" lol!! :)

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:25 PM

Yamafreak, where are you from? Every once in a while we go to Haspin Acres and ride. I'm from southern IN.
I started off w/ the M-12 and thought it was pretty good. My buddy messed up and got a S-12 and it lasted forever. It was soft enough where it didn't chunk out on the hard stuff and did great in the mud. Even after it rounded off it was still a good tire cause the knobs are so tall.
I just got a S-12 front and rear and it's been great on hard packed stuff.
Just because they say it's a soft design tire doesn't mean you can't used it on other stuff.

• YamaFreak

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:20 AM

Originally posted by 696:
Yamafreak, where are you from? Every once in a while we go to Haspin Acres and ride. I'm from southern IN.
I started off w/ the M-12 and thought it was pretty good. My buddy messed up and got a S-12 and it lasted forever. It was soft enough where it didn't chunk out on the hard stuff and did great in the mud. Even after it rounded off it was still a good tire cause the knobs are so tall.
I just got a S-12 front and rear and it's been great on hard packed stuff.
Just because they say it's a soft design tire doesn't mean you can't used it on other stuff.

I live in Piqua, Ohio. Thats about an 1hour and 45mins, If I drive just at the speed limit. I have made it there in about 1hour 15mins. I drive a chevy and my buddy has a ford, it was pretty much a drag race after each stop sign the whole way there. :)

• CAL

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:22 AM

I'm on my first S-12. I think I can safely say that I'll never have another Dunlop...and I've been running Dunlops for 4 years.

• gal

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:51 AM

s soft
m intermediete
h hard

• CAL

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:16 AM

Has anyone ever tried a Michelin MS2 (intermed. - soft)??

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:22 AM

YamaFreak
Meant no disrespect, just asking questions, Im sure the rev limiter is pretty worn on your bike :D

As for my Vidio clip and pic, I was producing a safty vido clip and anyway that kid on the xr80 center punched me :)

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:44 AM

I just bought an M12 and probably wouldn't have if this post would have come out last week. I can't afford to buy a new tire every month so I thought the M would last a little longer than the S. The tracks I ride start out muddy and then turn to hard clay after about 4 hours so you get every condition imaginable so I thought the M would be the best choice, maybe I was wong, but I will find out soon I guess. I am thinking of sending it back to Rocky Mtn. for an S now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.