Need some honesty...is it me or my tires????

10 replies to this topic

Posted June 03, 2001 - 03:22 PM

Ok, first real ride my my YR 426 and I had a blast. It was noticable lighter and with the Tag triple clamp I was able to bring from front wheel up whenever I needed to get over and rough stuff or logs. Overall it seem that I can ride much faster. I never did run out of fuel... now that I think about it, I never even used my reserve. Well it has been raining here in the Ohio Valley lately and it was a little slick, normally this is not a big deal however, today I couldn't hardley climb a single hill. I had to be in second, almost third to get up these hills that I normally run up in second when it's dry. I was riding with 2 XR600's that didn't have nearly the trouble getting up the hills. One of the XR had a nearly bald tire. I now I'm not a hill climber, I can climb hills and normally not have alot of problems but I'm not one of these guys that can climb but a rock cliff like a billy goat. I do alright but I thought I could at least climb the same hills wet that I ride normally ride dry. Anybody else had this problem with the stock Dunlop tires?
Oh, I plan on getting Michelin M-12's SOON!! They worked great on my DR so I'll give them a try. :)

------------------
2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 03, 2001 - 03:32 PM

Troop,
Personally I wouldn't use those stock tires to wipe my butt! They ROT!

It seems to me, the simpleton that I am, that a good MX tire will work on either a 2 or 4 stroke. What is up w/ these "Special 4 stroke tires". Yeah, "whatever", I say!

Get yourself a good loam/all around tire. I figure OH should be similar to PA...(?)

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• Bill

Posted June 03, 2001 - 04:12 PM

As Kevin said, the 739's aren't worth much. They're ok on complete hard pack but, other than that......they SUCK!

I'm going with Dunlops 756's. They claim to everything from intermediate to soft terrain.

Might want to consider the YZ seat and tank. This will also make a huge difference in being able to turn the bike but, not enough to overcome the 739 up front :)

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

Posted June 03, 2001 - 04:45 PM

We seem to always ride in what we call Indiana Mud. It black, thick and stinks! It's everywhere in our southern Indiana area. When we go to Kentucky...completely different mud, it doesn't seem to be as thick. Most ot the stuff we rode on today was hard packed,(at least the areas that I was going fast on) hills were good old Indiana Mud :) :D
Kev: I haven't heard of spec. tires for just 2 or 4 strokes?
Bill: My YZ tank and SDG Seat worked great today. Do you think the lack of weight from the stock WR seat and tank effected anything?

------------------
2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed

Posted June 03, 2001 - 04:48 PM

Sorry for the triple post... my computer screwed up :)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-04-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vincegatcore.com

Posted June 03, 2001 - 05:47 PM

michelin S-12 S-12 S-12
I Love these tires
with all the rain we seem to get a soft terrain tire is my choice all year.
I would rather give up a little performnce on the dry stuff to make it up these greasy eastern woods hills.
I used to run dunlop 752s but the s-12 is a big improvement on them.
never even rode on the stock tires...
The S-12s are $131 a set delivered from dennis kirk.

140/80-18 rear
90/90-21 front

• JOSHUAZ2

Posted June 04, 2001 - 06:40 AM

my bike is ok with the stock tires but it wants you to stand up and be aggressive on hills. over all i dont think much of the stock tires though.

• WheelieA4stroke

Posted June 04, 2001 - 07:24 AM

Tire presure has alot to do with how well you can climb muddy hills. Maybe those guys on the XR's were running heavy tubes and real low air like 6.5 or 7 pounds in there rear tires? I'd get some better tires and run heavy tubes with low presure and smoke up them hills! :)

• JOSHUAZ2

Posted June 04, 2001 - 07:34 AM

wheelie, your right on with the pressure i run about 6-6.5 and live with the risk.

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:10 AM

Nope, your tire pressures were the same. The only big difference is there XR's weight,( And one of them had a better tire :)) 275+ lbs. I have mine down to 255lbs.
I tried standing up but the rear end wants to swap sides REALLY bad. One of the XR guys tried my 426 and even he couldn't do it. My only hope was to sit down until I was appox. half way up the hill then stand up, if I didn't I would spin and lose all my speed.

------------------

Posted June 04, 2001 - 08:49 PM

Ok, I was talking to my friend (one of the XR600 guys) and he though my suspension could be to stiff. Well the factory setting was perfect for big drops but I took 5-click out of the front and rear compression and rebound but, left my high speed alone. Well it made the entire bike much more forgiving but I wonder if it was enough? I would like to know what you guys with a WR426 have soften your up to for woods riding?

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.