What have I done?

43 replies to this topic
  • Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
not to be a prick but with what? I have a speedometer on mine and it reads right at 70 at full speed off road anyway. on asphalpt it may go faster.

This was on asphalt w/ a Panoram. I forget what tire circumference we used but we did measure the tire.

I had it reading over 70 in a sand wash.

On paper (well, on my paper, anyway) a stock YZ should go 90 easily. But I've never actually measured a rear tire.

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Hick ]

• Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:19 PM

Oops. Double post (again!).

• Bambislayer

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:22 AM

I adapted an avocet bicycle computer to mine and with what I calculated to be the proper circumference(around 2550mm), mine only reads about 70 mph, and I have heard from someone I trust that that is about it, but I also have a 50 tooth rear with stock front. He could be wrong but based on my speed and his word which I trust I don't think they will go that fast. Maybe yamaha accidentally put a wr tranny in your bike.

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:46 AM

Originally posted by fastkevin:

Sorry Frank, but your buddy's Cheeser doesn't put out 163hp with only an exhaust.That dyno read about 10hp too high. Either it's got a problem, or it's operator is stroking him(dyno reports are very easy to manipulate).
Now a 160hp R1, that's actually true.
Package 001Iamgay or the "squid package" as it is more widely known, comes with:
20 sq ft of fur (Leopard print or Zebra stripe)
1 "wife beater"
1 pair extra baggy pants (with faux beeper, and cell phone)
1 gold necklace
1 gold earing
1 one-year membership in the "N-Sync" fan club
2 "eight ball" valve stem caps
1 complete "flame" sticker package
1 "learn how to chrome your own parts and save" instructional video
1 "Star Boyz" instructional video
2 "Phat" stickers
2 160 hp R1 stickers
(o.k. so you just get stickers that say 160hp)

Well you may be right fastkevin, but hell it is still more powerful than an R1 or my 9R. I have watched that GSXR 1000 smoke everything in my town and I have only been beat by one or two bikes and that thing just walks away from everything. Think what you will but show me an R1 that puts out 160 horsepower maybe just maybe 140. I am being generous saying my nine puts out that. And in regards to the dyno run on the 1000 he has the printout, no I have not seen it but why would he lie, ????? What the he11 is that other stuff you put in up there?? about the necklaces and N-sync and stuff???? :)

• fastkevin

Posted July 11, 2002 - 04:21 AM

Originally posted by FASTFRANK:

And in regards to the dyno run on the 1000 he has the printout, no I have not seen it but why would he lie, ????? What the he11 is that other stuff you put in up there?? about the necklaces and N-sync and stuff???? :)

Read my post again and you'll see that I'm not saying he's lying. Dyno reports are easily manipulated, and can often give bogus results if the operator is unqualified. Your buddy's bike is good for about 150 +/- with an exhaust etc..I race with a bunch of guys with this mod (Superstock)..
As far as the R1 is concerned, I was explaining how Vanilla Ice came up with his 160hp figure ( I was being facetious-work with me here Frank).
:D

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:50 AM

a-ight, aight, i got ya there Kev, no problem, I agree dynos can be easily manipulated even though I have never had my bike on the dyno for all I know it could be putting out 50hp LOL :D All jokes aside the 1000 is the craziest bike as far as power to weight ratio I have ever seen, but I can say one thing though for my bike.....1st bike to ever break into the 9's in the quarter stock!! that was in 98 but now the dam 1000 is running like a 9.89 in the quarter, whew that is fast, I have never rode my buddy's, cuz I know if I do I will have to get one. That is one reason I am selling mine, I just cannot go out on it and behave, wheelies, 150+ mph runs, just asking to get DEAD!! peace! Frank

P.S. how come Vanilla ain't defending himself he hasn't replied back yet in these 26 replies????? :)

• Hokie

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:50 AM

My R6 puts out 1000 ponies!!!

OK, only 100. :)

That is with a rejet and full race exhaust though....(Before and after dynos)

Posted Image

Hey, isn't this supposed to be a dirt bike forum....

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

• BFLee

Posted July 11, 2002 - 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Hick:

This was on asphalt w/ a Panoram. I forget what tire circumference we used but we did measure the tire.

I had it reading over 70 in a sand wash.

On paper (well, on my paper, anyway) a stock YZ should go 90 easily. But I've never actually measured a rear tire.

Bone stock '99 WR on a level dirt road measured at 84 mph with GPS, 5th gear on the limiter.

• holeshot

Posted July 11, 2002 - 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
I adapted an avocet bicycle computer to mine and with what I calculated to be the proper circumference(around 2550mm), mine only reads about 70 mph, and I have heard from someone I trust that that is about it, but I also have a 50 tooth rear with stock front. He could be wrong but based on my speed and his word which I trust I don't think they will go that fast. Maybe yamaha accidentally put a wr tranny in your bike.

Looking at your sig line, I would guess you failed. LOL :)

Your circumference of 2550mm (100.4 in) is way too much. There's no need to try and calculate the circumference of your front tire. Just put a little grease or oil on one of the front tire knobs. Then roll your bike a across the garage floor or driveway and measure the distance between the greasy imprints. It's preferable to be sitting on the bike while rolling, but it doesn't make a big difference. This will give you a very accurate circumference measurement. What's really confusing is that your circumference should show a speed higher than it really is. Most people use a circumference in the range of 82 7/8" to 84 1/2" (2105mm to 2150mm).

Using 82 7/8", my Watchdog reads 86 mph on a flat, dry lakebed with stock gearing (it hits the rev limiter in both directions).

Note that this is just trivia, because I rarely go above 45mph anyway.

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

• Bambislayer

Posted July 11, 2002 - 03:32 PM

After double checking I actually used 2240mm which equates to roughly a 28 inch diamter tire about an inch more than you say to use. I was planning to do the a trick similar to what you suggest, but just eyeballed instead. It could be that the computer is not that accurate at such high speeds as it was intended for bicycles but hey for $30 I 'll take it for the clock and stopwatch functions alone. I will try the other circumferences that you mentioned and see what happens.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted July 13, 2002 - 12:20 AM

4 of my buddies have yz426 and ive clock them all.the fastest i ever clocked them was with 15\50 gearing 72mph bouncing off revlimiter.with stock gearing 67mph sounds close

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 13, 2002 - 06:37 PM

I got my bike up to 75mph (measured with GPS) with sock gearing, and I was still accelerating. I didn't have enough room to hit the rev limiter.

• Bambislayer

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:07 PM

I thought discussion had been solved and I don't mean to bring it up again as I know this is a dirtbike forum, but VanillaGorilla pm'ed me and said his silly R1 still makes 160 hp. I just thought I would share so in the future we can all know that he embellishes a bit in his posts.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:32 PM

jeez guys, yamaha claimed the 2002 r1 puts out 160 at the crank, thats the number i was going by! gimme a god-damne dbreak already, you guys gotta act like ****in know-it-alls and be pricks about it, all i did was try to make a point, i dindt wanna start a discussion on the hp output of my r1! jeez

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 14, 2002 - 05:34 PM

well not all you guys, just bambi

• EricZ

Posted July 16, 2002 - 05:39 PM

I know this is off the original topic, but you guys brought it up. I have a '97 YZF 1000R (pre-cursor to the R1). Have any of you ever ridden this particular model? I am wondering how it compares with the new R1, Gixxer 1000, etc. in sport riding, track days etc? I'm tempted to trade it, but I'm not sure if the newer models are really that much better. Please first hand info only and spare me the hyperbole. I know that it's heavier, has less power, blah blah blah. I'm not Mick Doohan and I'm not looking to get killed while sport riding. Everyone here knows that the rider can make up all the difference. Bottom line, how much better are they? Are they worth the extra $5000 plus my trade? My bike is in very good shape, revalved suspension, full system, etc.

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: EricZ ]

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: EricZ ]

• fastkevin

Posted July 17, 2002 - 04:43 AM

For track days and "sport riding" you're fine(your bike was rated highly in it's day). 99% of the riders out there can't use an EX500 to it's full potential, let alone a 1000.
To answer your question about the differences between yours and the new generation 1000's..
You couldn't dump $5k into your bike and make it on par with the new R1/GSXR etc.. They're about 100lbs lighter, have 20-30 hp more (stock), have better suspension, and better geometry.
Having said that, refer back to my second sentence

YZF 1000- about 500lbs wet, 120hp +/- at the wheel
R1 (2002) about 400lbs wet, 135hp +/- at the wheel
GSXR 1000 about 400lbs wet, 142hp +/- at the wheel

IMO, neither the R1 or the GSXR belongs on the street. To think that any 18 year old squid(without any prior riding experience,) can pop into a dealer and plunk down $10k (or finance it), and ride out on a 180mph rocket is ludicrous.
These idiots that read all the hype about absolute horsepower, and have to go get the baddest to show up their friends, are going to be the demise of motorcycling. O.K off my soapbox now..

• EricZ

Posted July 19, 2002 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I'm leaning toward keeping my bike. As I said earlier I already had the suspension revalved which should make up some difference. In the magazine tests the stock bike made about 128hp; with my full system and jetted probably about 135 to 136. I agree with you completely about the weight issue. (Eighty pounds more than the Gixxer 1000.) I was wondering mostly about the "feel" with their lighter weights and mass centralization. My YZF probably has better throttle response with it's carbs as opposed to the notorious jerky off throttle response of the new EFI systems. Combine that with the rock solid chassis and more comfortable riding position, I think we sold me on keeping it. Plus it was only brought to the U.S. for 1 year which makes it somewhat rare here, although it is still sold in Europe. It definately has more capability than I use on the street and I have actually considered going down to a 600 or 750 for their precision handling.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: EricZ ]

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: EricZ ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 19, 2002 - 12:38 PM

Kevin is right about 180mph suicide machines. A couple of buddys that I used to work with went out and bought Ninja's back in the early 80's. 85' be exact. One died 6 weeks later under a truck, the other is in a diaper, a complete vegatable after a get off about 6 months after the first. Niether one of these guys had any experience on any kind of motorcycle prior to buying these bikes. I knew it would happen. And I was right. Sometimes I hate being right.

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:37 AM

Yes I agree, I can't believe that an 18 year old with no riding exp. can go out and buy one of these bikes. When is it gonna stop, don't get me wrong I have a bike that is capable of these speeds and have done them. That is one reason it is for sale, Keep your YZF1000, they are pretty much bulletproof if taken care of. I want to sell my 2000 9r and pay off my car, and my dirtbike. Maybe next year I might go get a 600 or something, very tempting to go out and get a new R1 but for $10,000 it just is not worth it. who wants to buy a mint condition ZX9R that I have invested well over 13,000 bucks in. Polished everything and nothing but the best bolt ons money can buy. have a good day, Frank

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.