What have I done?

43 replies to this topic
  • Slim_Chance

Posted July 09, 2002 - 08:30 PM

Greetings!
After 13 years without a dirt bike, today I traded for a 2002 YZ426. My last one was a YZ250 in 1988. I'm not sure what I expected, certainly not the snarling beast that I came home with. It may take a little while to get used to, but I like it! Bear in mind that I believe street bikes need at least 120HP to be any fun at all. The last 4-stroke off road bike I had seat time on was a TT600. Hard to believe they were made by the same company.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 10, 2002 - 04:47 AM

hehehe, well i hope u have fun getting used to your 50+ hp dirt-rocket. i know it took a while for me to get used to my yzf-r1 with 160hp, and that was STOCK! i couldnt imagine if i just got the bike now with all the stuff i have already on it! and the same goes for my 426f.

• Bambislayer

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:00 AM

If your stock r1 makes 160 hp, i will kiss your ass.

• Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:19 AM

&%$#@! is an R1?

• DPW

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:21 AM

Slim Chance,

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I sold my MX bikes in '88 and didn't get another bike till '99, YZ400F. Just take your time until you feel comfortable out there. Have Fun!

• FASTFRANK

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:27 AM

yeah not to put you down, but my ZX9r with full exhaust and K@N air filter is right about 140hp, I have a friend with a GSXR 1000 now he was dynoed with exhaust at 163hp at the rear wheel, now that is just plain ridiculous, you might be pushing close to 150 but at the crank not at the rear wheel. Frank :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:48 AM

Man I thought I was in heaven with my 9 HP ysr50
then I got the 426 and found out that heaven was passed by in 4th gear looking like a bluuuuurrrr

:)

• YZeezee

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:18 AM

Slim, I think what you've done is bought yourself a rippin' good time. I've never had a bike before, bought a 98 400f and have ridden about 4 months now. This weekend was the first time ever riding on a mx track and it was the most fun I remember having (well almost the most fun). I was jumping, getting passed all over the place and just getting tired out in general. Definitely need some getting used to and practice, but I'm way happy I didn't go with something smaller. I'll grow into this bike's ability soon, and am already setting my sights on a 426 (or even a 450) in the near future...

• chookChaser

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:22 AM

Vanilla - I was just looking around at the site listed in your sig (nice 426Posted Image) and came accross this >> http://hondacr125fox...sssite/id4.html in a link.

???
It says...

Disturbed is the best band on the face of the planet. I am gay.

Is Disturbed a good band or not? Does gay now mean cool? Or has Matt just 'come out' (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

Posted Image

<FONT COLOR="#FF0000" FACE="VERDANA" SIZE="4">SEPPOS... LOL</FONT>

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: chookChaser ]

• Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:26 AM

Originally posted by chookChaser:
Is Disturbed a good band or not?

I like ‘em okay. I guess they are good if you like hard stuff like Therapy, Downset et al.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BFLee

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Hick:
&%$#@! is an R1?

Posted Image

>> R1 Dyno Graph <<

So sorry VG, "only" 134.5 rwhp :)

• Slim_Chance

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:44 AM

I intend to detail strip the bike and correct the factory shortcuts. They use almost no grease anywhere on the bike. Also, if they haven't changed, some ground connections are painted and may not make good contact. Check all the electrical connections. A tech rep told us that the electrics are assembled by women and may not get the connectios tight all the time. Now if I can just get past 1/4 throttle and 3rd gear!
Anyone have an accurate top speed figure on one of these?

• Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 11:24 AM

Should top out before 90 mph.

If the bike is new, please change the oil and filter after EACH of the first three or four rides. You will find a lot of metal in there, that is normal.

And you are right about the grease, my '00 had almost none, but strangely enough my '01 was much better.

And only use the clutch to keep from brake-stalling it. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 10, 2002 - 12:08 PM

what I think is really amazing, the 426 and 250 two stroke arent all that different in power to weight ratios, but the thumper just puts every freakin calorie of power to the ground.

Its been 11 days since my last ride, Im begining to twitch!

• CJ_Baran

Posted July 10, 2002 - 01:24 PM

Slim Chance,

My first bike was a Kawasaki KD80M back in 1980. I have not been on a bike since 1984. I just bought a 02 426 two weeks ago and have put in 5 rides. I love the bike! I feel more and more comfortable on the MX track after every ride. Luckily, my BMX skills have enabled me to jump with some confidence. Believe it or not I am clearing some very big table tops and whoops. However, I am taking it slow on the power. Other than a blister on my accelerator thumb and cramps in my face from non-stop smiles...things have been perfect.

Have fun with the bike. I am in love with my blue mistress! :)

• fastkevin

Posted July 10, 2002 - 01:57 PM

Originally posted by FASTFRANK:
yeah not to put you down, but my ZX9r with full exhaust and K@N air filter is right about 140hp, I have a friend with a GSXR 1000 now he was dynoed with exhaust at 163hp at the rear wheel, now that is just plain ridiculous, you might be pushing close to 150 but at the crank not at the rear wheel. Frank :D

Sorry Frank, but your buddy's Cheeser doesn't put out 163hp with only an exhaust.That dyno read about 10hp too high. Either it's got a problem, or it's operator is stroking him(dyno reports are very easy to manipulate).

Now a 160hp R1, that's actually true.
Package 001Iamgay or the "squid package" as it is more widely known, comes with:
20 sq ft of fur (Leopard print or Zebra stripe)
1 "wife beater"
1 pair extra baggy pants (with faux beeper, and cell phone)
1 gold necklace
1 gold earing
1 one-year membership in the "N-Sync" fan club
2 "eight ball" valve stem caps
1 complete "flame" sticker package
1 "learn how to chrome your own parts and save" instructional video
1 "Star Boyz" instructional video
2 "Phat" stickers
2 160 hp R1 stickers
(o.k. so you just get stickers that say 160hp)
:)

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: fastkevin ]

• Bambislayer

Posted July 10, 2002 - 04:42 PM

my mick doohan replica nsr500 with twin turbos, nitrous and modifed hemi heads makes 350 hp and dunlop is currently working on a new rubber compound to help me put em all to the ground while leaving big fat darkies kevin swantz style exiting corners. one thing I did find is that with the oriental lettering all over the side, some fur on the fairings, and a purple iridium helmet shield I do look more and more like a fag though.

have fun on your fourstroke and take it one step at a time. your bike probably makes 48-50 hp which means that when you crash it you will hurt yourself only half as much as on your "120hp" streetbike. oh and by the way...your 426 will probably go 70 mph if you have stock gearing. the only way to reach 90 would be to fill the gas tank and airbox with concrete and toss it off a cliff. now the wr will do about 90mph.

• thumper4life

Posted July 10, 2002 - 04:45 PM

cj baran,

goto a bmx store and purchase some handlebar donuts for your grips, they feel all nice and squishy and don't give you blisters! :)

• Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
...your 426 will probably go 70 mph if you have stock gearing. the only way to reach 90 would be to fill the gas tank and airbox with concrete and toss it off a cliff.

If you can't find a cliff nearby try a 15 tooth counter sprocket.

I clocked my friends YZ at well over 80 w/ stock gearing.

• Bambislayer

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:25 PM

not to be a prick but with what? I have a speedometer on mine and it reads right at 70 at full speed off road anyway. on asphalpt it may go faster.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.