fork damper rod holding tool...any substitutes?

3 replies to this topic
  • MN_Kevin

Posted June 03, 2001 - 03:21 PM

Tried to pull the valve on the underside of the forks w/ 14 mm allen wrench. Just like on my Honda's Showa's, I need a damper rod holding tool.

Have any of you found any type of substitute tool for the job? On my Honda, several occasions the tension from the fork spring seemed to do the trick. I left my manual at work; I'll get it tomorrow. I wanted to study it to see where/how the tool held the damper rod.

In the mean time, I mounted a new 756 to the front end for the big "Bill's Bash in PA partytrip". So the day was not a total loss. :)

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• James_Dean

Posted June 03, 2001 - 06:05 PM

If you put a pile of rags on the floor below the fork top, you can compress the fork and get extra friction from the spring. Use the axle for a handle. This and careful use of an impact wrench will do the job without the "proper" tool. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rob1980

Posted June 04, 2001 - 03:00 AM

Now I use a rattle gun on the bottom bolts, but I used to have success with tying the bike down really hard to compress the forks as much as possible on the trailer and giving the allen key a few sharp taps with a hammer to loosen it off. Tying it down hard works well to stop the rod from turning.
This method used to work on my KDX's, XR's etc, but it probably isn't much use when you already have them off the bike.

Anyway, good luck.
Rob

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 05, 2001 - 02:04 PM

Mr. Dean,
More great advice! With the Wife armed with my hand held impact wrench and a hammer, and I compressing the fork (with a 3/8 drive extension through the axle hole), the valve spun right out.

Special tool...Ha! I say!

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.