YZ450 Questions

4 replies to this topic
  • Locust

Posted July 09, 2002 - 06:51 PM

Sorry to be nearly a repeat of the last post, guys, but I need your advice, and my situation is quite a bit different from "Seb's." I'm seriously considering a CR450, and semi-seriously considering a YZ450. The key limiter is the lousy support at the Lancaster, CA Yamaha dealership, and the opposite at the Lancaster Honda dealership a few blocks away ("Will" in particular is a class act).

A few questions:

1. I'd greatly appreciate an idea of maintenance items and costs, and how frequently each is needed. Valves? Oil? Top end rebuilds? Gearboxes? Cam chains and related hardware?

2. Any problems to report? Four speed trans working out okay?

3. Is the 450 really that much of an improvement over the YZ400?

I have been a CR500 rider for many years, with a 1997 bike being my latest. The motor was fully worked by Boyesen Engineering, and it is pretty much unbeatable in a drag race, if traction is good. It's also the hardest bike to ride MX that I know of, and its turning is not in the league of the YZ400s I've ridden. However, as you know, the CR500 is rock reliable and really fun to ride.

Thanks in advance for your input!

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 09, 2002 - 08:09 PM

I have said it 5000 times, and I'll say it again, nobody will have any idea about the yz450 till it comes out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 10, 2002 - 04:51 AM

all i can say is that since the current 426f will stomp a mudhole in the crf450, the new yz450f will absolutely dominate the inferior crf450. dont get a crf, no matter what u do. ride blue and you will be forgiven of your past sins (riding red)! hehehe
-alex

• YZeezee

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:46 PM

Locust, I'm guessing you aren't aware that the YZ450 isn't even out yet, so the questions on maintenance, problems, etc are pure speculation... As far as the YZ400 difference, I ride a 400 and I'm guessing the differences will be considerable-I believe they are already with the 426.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:52 PM

I would rather be dead then ride red
Gad I hate upgrades they take so long and I am just sitting here poking my nose into threads.

Get the yz you willnever be sorry, I like Yamaha but Vanilla is right, I havnt met a crf I couldnt pass "Yet"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.