shipping a bike

8 replies to this topic
  • idahofourstroker

Posted July 09, 2002 - 12:39 PM

Who is the best company to have a bike shipped? I am looking at a bike in california and want someone dependable and affordable.

• motoman393

Posted July 09, 2002 - 01:25 PM

http://www.forwardair.com I have shipped 3 bikes using them and it was anywhere from $120-160 and gets to the destination in < 48hrs

• sliderbkt

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:51 AM

I second Forward Air. They are cheap fast and reliable. But, they only ship to their terminals so you have to be close to one to use them.

• westladog

Posted July 11, 2002 - 05:54 AM

But how do you go about crating it. Where can you get a crate? How?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted July 11, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Your local dealer should have lots of them.

• Husker_Mike

Posted July 11, 2002 - 06:40 AM

I've used a different type of transportation service, one that picks the car/motorcycle up from where ever and delivers it to your house. You do not need to crate it, it gets gently set in the upper deck of a 65' tractor-trailer rig. There are a bunch of these carriers, but I've had good luck with:

Wisco Transport, Inc.
Phone: 800-249-4726
Fax: 920-386-4671
Web: www.wiscotransport.com

The last bike I had shipped shared tractor-trailer space with one Lamborgini and a couple of Porsches.

Good luck.

• westladog

Posted July 11, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Husker Mike:
I've used a different type of transportation service, one that picks the car/motorcycle up from where ever and delivers it to your house. You do not need to crate it, it gets gently set in the upper deck of a 65' tractor-trailer rig. There are a bunch of these carriers, but I've had good luck with:

Wisco Transport, Inc.
Phone: 800-249-4726
Fax: 920-386-4671
Web: www.wiscotransport.com

The last bike I had shipped shared tractor-trailer space with one Lamborgini and a couple of Porsches.

Good luck.

It also costs between $600-$800, right?

• PK

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:59 PM

When I shipped a bike, it had to be in a crate. We got the crate from the local dealer. They will give them to you, otherwise they throw them out. They also tell you to drain the oil & gas or they won't take it.

• Husker_Mike

Posted July 12, 2002 - 07:33 AM

WestLA,

You're right, it's not exactly cheap. I bought a bike in Tacoma, WA and had it shipping to me in Orange County, CA and it cost me $425. However, that's delivered to my door at the time I specify, no crating involved and it has complete damage insurance.

I use this service when buying antique bikes or any non-dirt bike that is supposed to be cosmetically "perfect" so I do not have to worry about shipping damage. These guys do take very good care of the bikes (not to say that Forward Air or other similar services don't, I just have never used that sort of service).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.