04 yz450f trans

4 replies to this topic
  • Rossco22

Posted June 20, 2004 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone know if the 5 gear from the 426 works with the 2004 450?

• eazrider

Posted June 21, 2004 - 07:57 AM

I am in the process of installing an '04 WR tranny into my '04 YZ. Ty Davis says it is a drop in....we'll see.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted June 21, 2004 - 01:32 PM

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that and for how much $$$?

I have a YZ450 on order right now, and the only thing I wasn't happy with was the transmission. I wanted a Wr but they guy I ordered from couldn't get on until next year.

And are you changing the entire tranny or just swapping the gears?

• eazrider

Posted June 30, 2004 - 12:47 PM

Still haven't pulled off the swap...but I have the WR tranny assembled...nothing interchanges...must swap complete tranny, including forks and shift cam....

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2004 - 02:58 PM

This "reprint" from an old post by SFO will cover it. I undestand that there is less machine work if an '03/'04 WR trans is used, but that would give you a wide ratio box, and you'll still have to come up with a complete transmission.
YZ-F 5sp conversion
We finally finished installing the '02 yz 5sp in our '03 yz 450 motard bike.

This is a HUGE PITA.

Both cases must be machined to accept the 5sp shift drum, both cases need the shift shaft holes deepened on one of the shift shaft bungs, one gear must be clearance ground to get proper axial freeplay on the main shaft, custom shimming for proper operation, the clutch has to be clearanced in relationship to its axial offset on the mainshaft this was done by surface grinding the washers under the clutch basket, and you will also need a complete 5sp box w/shift shafts, shift forks, shift drum and main shaft and pinion shaft assemblies complete w/ gears.

10 hours in a machine shop plus parts, (thanks Rich), BTW, it works great!

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.