HELP, Twisted Oil filter

8 replies to this topic
  • trunkmonkey55

Posted June 20, 2004 - 06:35 PM

I just bought a scotts oil filter and rode 80 miles on it. When I took it out to change my oil it was twisted and bent. WHY? why would it do this? :thumbsup:

• svemo

Posted June 20, 2004 - 11:46 PM

wrong size? maybe you placed i wrong then when you put the cover on it got squeezed?

Got any pictures of it?

• latehit

Posted June 21, 2004 - 04:35 AM

I had the same problem once. When I took out the old oil filter it was all twisted up and on further inspection I found that there were 2 of the seals stuck together on the inside of the case which obviously didn't provide the proper amount of space for the oil filter. That was the last time I had a dealer change my oil. So check in the case behind the filter and see if there are any oil filter seals stuck in there.
:thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted June 21, 2004 - 09:37 AM

Scotts oil filter only has one rubber gasket that in on the side pointing out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trunkmonkey55

Posted June 21, 2004 - 12:25 PM

ya it only has one gasket
:thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:30 PM

That is why I use the cheap paper filters! :thumbsup: :devil: :awww:

• dez4ever

Posted June 22, 2004 - 08:17 AM

Cheap...you mean like $11.00 from the dealer...not to cheap in my mind.

• jbrooks26

Posted June 22, 2004 - 12:02 PM

Once you figure that you can use them 4 or 5 times, you drop the price down to around $2-3 for each oil change. I have yet to buy a new filter, got 4 oil changes on it and it looks like new after I clean it up. Seems pretty cheap to me. Just my 2c.

Josh

• SuperRat

Posted June 22, 2004 - 12:47 PM

Just a thought, on both my yz400f and wr450 sometimes the rubber will pull off of the "old dirty" filter and stay inside of your case. When a second filter is installed the spacing is no longer correct and the "new clean" filter will be crushed and twisted... :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.