Gripes of the 04 YZF 450

8 replies to this topic
  • mxer111

Posted June 20, 2004 - 04:37 PM

I'm thinking of buying the 04 450 what uprades did you think it needed to make you happy? :thumbsup:

• falshh

Posted June 20, 2004 - 04:43 PM

get new handlebars and new chain, that is about all you need. remember to set your bike up to you, see back of your manual you got.

• grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2004 - 06:59 PM

The stock bars are not worthy. The stock chain needs to be replaced BEFORE using the bike for anything serious, because they stretch too easily, and that will prematurely ruin what are otherwise OK sprockets. I have used Regina Gold o-ring chains since I had my CR500, and have been very happy with them. It's the same chain the Renthal buys to sell as the Renthal Gold, but as a Regina, it's considerably cheaper.

Otherwise, the bike is fine. If it's too snappy for you, you might consider a Dr.D flywheel, but the 04's are 5-6 ounces heavier than the 03's already, and weren't as bad in that regard.

If you ever rebuild the clutch, a full Hinson is worth the money to replace a worn out unit, but not a to replace a healthy 04 clutch.

• Vet28

Posted June 21, 2004 - 03:53 AM

does the o-ring unit suck up noticeable power?

Vet28 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eazrider

Posted June 21, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Use the stock bars until you fall and bend them, Pick up a good quality o-ring chain, slide the fork tubes up just a tad for more sharpness in turns, (If it headshakes on straightaways, you went too far)The gear box is totally hosed for riding a combination of sandwashes and tight single tracks, a 14/50 is almost low enough for tight technical sections, but comfortable cruising speed is severely limited, 15/47 totally screws up low speed, tight trails, and cruising speed on 2 tracks is merely acceptable. Get a skid plate for rocks, and Clarke 2.8 gal tank if offroad is your bag. Play with the clickers to get suspension to work in the choppy stuff. If you are a moto-head, O-ring chain, adjust the clickers, 14-47 (stock) gearing, and go have fun.

• mxer111

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:06 PM

I race motocross and I haven't rode the 450. What you motocrossers think of the 4 speed trans? I had a 99 400 that wasn't very relaible and that cost me the championship. Has your 450s had any problems in relaibility? I'm on an 02 CRF 450 now and wont more low end grunt. I'm considering buying the 04 YZF 450 instead of doing the work my bike will need.

• Satch0922

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:15 PM

The stock bars are not worthy. The stock chain needs to be replaced BEFORE using the bike for anything serious, because they stretch too easily, and that will prematurely ruin what are otherwise OK sprockets. I have used Regina Gold o-ring chains since I had my CR500, and have been very happy with them. It's the same chain the Renthal buys to sell as the Renthal Gold, but as a Regina, it's considerably cheaper.

Otherwise, the bike is fine. If it's too snappy for you, you might consider a Dr.D flywheel, but the 04's are 5-6 ounces heavier than the 03's already, and weren't as bad in that regard.

If you ever rebuild the clutch, a full Hinson is worth the money to replace a worn out unit, but not a to replace a healthy 04 clutch.

Posted Image

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 22, 2004 - 12:57 AM

does the o-ring unit suck up noticeable power?

I don't think you will ever notice any power loss by using a sealed chain. An 80cc sure, a 125CC maybe, a 450cc 4-stroke? No way.

• Vet28

Posted June 22, 2004 - 02:21 AM

Remember the stock gearing (unless you live in Europe) is 14/48. I prefer the 14/47 unless I am on a tight track...in my area there is only one that fits that category. The overall bike is excellent for MX. As you heard swap the bars & chain. My forks are set so the second ring in just visible on top of the triple clamp...millimeter adjustments are huge, so go easy. I have the .49kg front springs and TOO TECH gold valving...other than that, enjoy many happy holeshots. The 4 speed is great (better with a 47 rear).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.