Magnesium?

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 08, 2002 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone know if the right crankcase cover and water pump cover are magnesium? They don't say magnesium like the other parts that are. Since Water Wetter does not protect magnesium, I wanted to know if the coolant ran through it.

• osheen

Posted July 08, 2002 - 07:25 PM

Pretty sure they are aluminum. Magnesium corrodes really bad when using most coolants. The manufacturers figured that out when water cooling was introduced long ago........

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 09, 2002 - 06:48 PM

the cooling system on the 426f does in fact run through magnesium. i recommend rotella elc coolant from shell. it protects magnesium. read my other post on the coolant.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted July 09, 2002 - 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla:
the cooling system on the 426f does in fact run through magnesium.

Where?

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:18 PM

i was under the influence the case cover and impellor houseing where magnesium, sorry about that.

• Hick

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla:
i was under the influence the case cover and impellor houseing where magnesium, sorry about that.

Well it looks like the head on the 450 will be magnesium, so this will be a relevant issue for 450 owners.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.