Chain rubbing on subframe?

8 replies to this topic
  • crayztwentyseven

Posted June 19, 2004 - 08:42 PM

On my 450 my chain has started rubbing on the subframe. Wy is this? My chain seems to be within the correct tightness level. However there is a little play in my rear wheel bearings. Are the bearings the problem :confused:what do you guys think? The bearings are not very loose at all.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 20, 2004 - 02:13 AM

On my 450 my chain has started rubbing on the subframe. Wy is this? My chain seems to be within the correct tightness level. However there is a little play in my rear wheel bearings. Are the bearings the problem :confused:what do you guys think? The bearings are not very loose at all.

I don't know if the bearings are the reason for your chain rubbing, but any play in the bearings is bad and they should be replaced.

• Rider_727

Posted June 20, 2004 - 09:19 AM

If the chain is aligned correctly and tighten by the book it will not rub the subframe unless your chain is just slap worn out.

• jetnurse

Posted June 21, 2004 - 05:16 PM

My chain is "rubbing" (nicking) the subframe and swingarm. I put a new chain on the day I bought the bike. I think it was a DID 520 o-ring chain. I have used the same type of chain on the 426 with out any problems.....
I think the chain hits the subframe and swingarm in the whoops.
Maybe not... I dont know but I am having the same problem.

jetnurse

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Davidyz450

Posted June 26, 2004 - 05:29 PM

I have the same problem and can't figure it out? Everything is in alignment. The chain lash is ok. It's done it since the bike was new.

• bigc

Posted June 26, 2004 - 06:33 PM

mine too, not bad but is irritating.I took my sub frame loose and slid a piece of rubber hose over it.

• BigDesto

Posted June 29, 2004 - 11:08 AM

They all do!!! Some tack on an extra piece of alumuim when it wears down too much!

• ryno717

Posted June 30, 2004 - 04:43 AM

I took a 4 inch piece of thin gauge galvanized steel angle iron and rivited it to the subframe where it was rubbing. It turned out very clean and simple. Adds a few ounces of weight but well worth the protection to the subframe.

• odlaw19

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:59 PM

Has anyone worked out why this happens?

I'm having the same issue on my 426.

The chain seems to be really noisy and i can hear it slapping on the sub frame. It hits on both the small box section and the main section just above the swing arm bolt.

The chain is adjusted within spec and a few people have told me the chain is OK. I will put some rubber tubing over the problem area for now.

Thanks

Waldo
YZ426

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.