Tired old kickstarter question

4 replies to this topic
  • midwestmotocross

Posted July 08, 2002 - 06:12 AM

A buddy's 1998 YZ400 kickstarter finally gave out and split at the base. He seems to think he can have it welded by the same guy who welded up the crack in his case, but in the event that doesn't work, which years' bikes will work and does anyone have one for sale?

He can be reached at mkeefe@midwestmotocross.com.

Thanks,
James

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 09, 2002 - 06:50 PM

i can tell you for sure right now, welding it wont help, it wil never be as strong as before. and the oem unit isnt strong enough to begin with. any 400-426f kickstarter 98-02 should fit, but double check this with a dealership. retail is about 110$

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:51 AM

In '98 I believe Yamaha recalled some of their YZ400 because of the weak kick starter. Now four years later you have a better chance of seeing Elvis than have Yamaha swap kick-starters. Good news is they fixed the problem for '99. :)

• MANIAC998

Posted July 10, 2002 - 02:30 PM

After my '98 broke, I found some quad guys using the 426 motors in there quads. Seems like they were taking off the stock levers and using another aftermarket one in its place. As I had already ordered up a $190.00 BBR, I was just curious what they were doing with the stockers. There reply? "We just throw them up on the shelf somewhere." I bought all they had! I can sell you one for $40.00. Hardly used! If not, check in your area for similar quad conversions. Maniac :)

• midwestmotocross

Posted July 11, 2002 - 02:16 PM

Originally posted by MANIAC998:
After my '98 broke, I found some quad guys using the 426 motors in there quads. Seems like they were taking off the stock levers and using another aftermarket one in its place. As I had already ordered up a $190.00 BBR, I was just curious what they were doing with the stockers. There reply? "We just throw them up on the shelf somewhere." I bought all they had! I can sell you one for $40.00. Hardly used! If not, check in your area for similar quad conversions. Maniac :)

Please e-mail Mike at mkeefe@midwestmotocross.com.

His connection is screwy right now, so it might be a few days before he responds.

Thanks,
James

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.