Cam timing

9 replies to this topic
  • bushy

Posted June 19, 2004 - 02:38 PM

http://hs.enhanced-g...images/dan1.jpg
http://hs.enhanced-g...images/dan2.jpg
http://hs.enhanced-g...images/dan3.jpg

That looks right to me, but when I turn the motor over, when the intake lobes start to push down the intake valves, the motor will not go any further. This is demonstrated in picture 3.

• luke_n

Posted June 19, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Did you put those black pen marks on the chain and gears before you pulled it apart?
Have you played with the timing or are you doing shims?
The gear timing marks look pretty right but they could be totally out from the crank. You need to make sure you are at top dead center then line the cams up.

• bushy

Posted June 19, 2004 - 03:40 PM

I am, right on the I next to the H

I put those marks on there for sorta a marking point, so I dont go back on the same place twice. I had the head off to put in new intake valves.

Posted June 19, 2004 - 04:52 PM

there is no I, there is no H. There is a T, which stands for Top, as
in Top Dead Center. This is where you line your cams up. There is also an F, on most bikes, which stands for Fire, which is where the spark plug fires and is always after TDC.

• luke_n

Posted June 19, 2004 - 04:52 PM

I saw another post on this somewhere else where you said that the exhaust cam spins ok but not the inlet.
I dont pretend to be an expert on this but i can work through it step by step.
If you pull the plug and make sure that the piston is definately well clear of the valves will the inlet cam spin freely. By my reasoning i would have to say that there is some valve piston contact going on. If this is the case the cam will spin fine and you have a timing issue. If not then you will probly have to pull that cam and make sure the valves can be compressed by hand, did you replace valve guides?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue_beast_wins

Posted June 19, 2004 - 09:34 PM

There is also an F, on most bikes, which stands for Fire, which is where the spark plug fires and is always after TDC.

[/QUOTE]

your motor must run backwards then............... :excuseme:it is always before top dead center except on some euro cars where it fires at top dead center, but pretty rare :thumbsup:

• bushy

Posted June 20, 2004 - 03:02 AM

I pulled the intake cam off, I can push the center intake valve down with my fingers, but the outside two will not push down with my weak thumbs on them. Could they just be a little stuck from being brand new? I am NOT taking the head off again on this thing.

I am doing this with the spark plug out by the way, and rotating the engine from the crank.

And yes, it says in the manual time to the I on the crankshaft.

Posted June 20, 2004 - 09:14 AM

[QUOTE]
There is also an F, on most bikes, which stands for Fire, which is where the spark plug fires and is always after TDC.

[/QUOTE]

your motor must run backwards then............... :excuseme:it is always before top dead center except on some euro cars where it fires at top dead center, but pretty rare :thumbsup:

[/QUOTE]
Right, right... I got turned around I guess...I'm sure it had something to do with all the beer yesterday...lol
sorry for the misinfo

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 20, 2004 - 09:18 AM

Not to be the devils advocate or anything... but after the initial damage, did you have the head inspected properly (preferably by a machine shop) or did you just buy some new valves and put it back together?

• bushy

Posted June 20, 2004 - 09:31 AM

There was no head damage. I'm leading to belive that we put the valve springs on upside down. Oh well, I just noticed it said in the manual, "insert valve springs with larger pitch facing up."

Off comes the head.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.