Black smoke and loss of some compression?

3 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted July 08, 2002 - 01:27 AM

Yesterday I decided to go for a small ride. I took it out. I did the routine but 1st kick didnt start(I didnt kick hard enough,lazy)So I tried again and it was WOULD NOT GET TO THE COMPRESSION STROKE?Some how after awile it started AND i GAVE IT A COUPLE REVS AND BLACK SMOKE CAME OUT? BUT I TOOK IT FOR A SMALL RIDE AND RAN FINE? wHAT WAS WRONG?

• pennyz400f

Posted July 08, 2002 - 11:13 AM

I would check the decompression cable routing, it may have gotten snagged, pinched, or it may be frayed. Also, try lubing the cables. Good luck.

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: pennyz400f ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MGR_8

Posted July 08, 2002 - 11:53 AM

Don't worry about it! When I let my bike sit for some time..a week +...mine does the same thing. Once it start it should run fine. If it is running good...ride the snot out of it.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 09, 2002 - 10:00 AM

Seems like the exhaust valves stick a tad now and then. Mine did the same thing a couple of times. I do this now. After washing etc, or prior to storage, I bump the thing around like Im going to start it, then dont start it. Just leave the engine a little past top dead center. That way the valves are closed for sure. And If somebody gets wise and twists the throttle on ya a couple times no big deal. The fuel will puddle in the intake port as opposed to running down in the cylinder where its not likely it will evaporate. At least thats my theroy.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.