Decompression Lever position

7 replies to this topic
  • BULLDOG

Posted June 03, 2001 - 06:52 AM

I was just curious if anyone knows the pros and cons of spinning the lever around so that it is underneath the clutch lever. I mounted some bar risers and noticed the decomp cable pulled tight and stalled the bike when I turn to the right. The quick fix was to reposition it underneath and that did the trick. I noticed that Tim Ferry has his underneath as well but he rides MX. Will I catch more branches? Is it more suseptable to breaking on a fall?

wayne

------------------
It's your world, I just play in it!

'00WR, WB E-Series S-Bend w/7 discs, Stock header, GUTS high seat, Thumper Bar Risers, throttle stop trimmed, airbox cover removed. Stock jetting. 4500ft.

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 03, 2001 - 08:42 AM

Wayne, I don't think it can be much worse, if at all, re-positioning it.

If it works for you, than make it so!!

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• PMAUST

Posted June 05, 2001 - 05:51 AM

Bulldog, whatever works for you. If you are ever planning on getting the Ty Davis hot start switch you may want to re-think it though. The hot start SW mounts right onto the compression release bracket. The two together is very convient. Also, however you set it up make sure that you can hold in the clutch and compression release at the same time. One final consideration, having that little lever easily accessible has saved me from quite a few stalls because you can just pull it in and release to bump start your bike without even comming to a stop! Again, the clutch and c-release need to be arranged so that you can pull both at same time. Good luck. Paul

• vincegatcore.com

Posted June 05, 2001 - 06:10 AM

Be very careful of using your decompression lever to bump start your bike.
My clutch basket blew up doing that very thing.
1998 clutch baskets were known to be weak.

Too bad I did not find out before I had to split my cases to get all the pieces out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2001 - 08:52 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if we could swing it to the right side. It seems that might be less tricky than trying to juggle two levers at the same time with one hand. I am much more use to doing that with the right (no rude comments here please :) ) between the throttle and break and you dont have to screw with the throttle durring the start drill.

• bobwombat

Posted June 05, 2001 - 03:33 PM

Bulldog, i repositioned my decomp lever after my first ride & like it much better down there; didn't like the thing sticking out up high. although i've got acerbis hand-guards & i think they protect the whole area,i ALWAYS fall on my left side & have never had a problem w/the decomp lever on the bottom. try it out; what the hey, right? bobwombat

• BULLDOG

Posted June 05, 2001 - 07:41 PM

Well, I did take a previous soil sample that claimed my lever while in the top position. $9.00 later and I was back in business. So far I like the new position, although I have found it tricky with the clutch and lever at the same time, I guess like all things it may just take a little getting used to.

Thanks for the responses. I was waiting for that one person to tell me "Wait, you idiot! Don't you know...?" :) But it never came. i guess I'm safe.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2001 - 07:59 PM

I just repositioned my CR lever below my clutch lever. I promptly went out and endo'ed last weekend. I am relatively sure I would have broken the lever in the upper position if it were still there. There is a recent post on the YZ side on this same subject...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.