yz450f...for me or not????

61 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted July 09, 2002 - 02:24 AM

The other thing that made helped is your Daddy spending money on you like a drunken sailor. Wait until reality smacks you upside the head and you have to pay for these toys yourself. By the way since no one has a YZ450 NO ONE knows how fast it is. Go watch some cartoons and leave the adults alone.

• needsprayer

Posted July 09, 2002 - 03:09 AM

beezer,

Right now Seb is acting like the adult. He did not respond to your last insult and I hope he does not give you the satisfaction of responding to this one. What's with you guys from NJ anyway?

• Kirtwell

Posted July 09, 2002 - 03:59 AM

I'll have to agree with the majority here:
Don't buy the 450F. It's too much bike for a 120 pounder. I'm 6"1' and 230lbs. I sometimes feel like the 426 is alot to handle.
If you were my son. I wouldn't let you ride anything more than a 125 considering your motorcycle skill level. It would be a used one at that. Then I would work you into a 250F and maybe with signs that you could handle more power consider the 450F.
The majority rules on this one. Get a small bike and have fun. Get a big bike and have fun recovering in a hospital room while all your friends are out riding.

• beezer

Posted July 09, 2002 - 04:11 AM

NJ guys hate Hondas especially heavy slow ones. Only kidding Sprayer! When the humidity hits 85% my tolerance for spoiled children reaches an all time low. Common sense dictates that a 120 lb child does not belong on a YZ450. And I'm sick of hearing about Raptors. I also apologize to Arizona and Florida for sending you all our elderly to drive at 25 mph below the speed limit.

• needsprayer

Posted July 09, 2002 - 04:46 AM

Beezer said: "NJ guys hate Hondas especially heavy slow ones." j/k

Beez,

XR650R: heavy yes, slow no. And I realize that seb has a lot to be thankful for. Let's not jump to conclusions about him.

BTW, we don't have slow drivers in AZ. Highways are 75 mph and that's just the crusing speed. Besides the desert scares most city folk. Their afraid an itsy bitsy black widow spider or scorpion or one of our cute snakes is going to bite them. :)

Take care

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: needsprayer ]

• Big_Gunner

Posted July 09, 2002 - 04:52 AM

hey beezer!

what's up with the comment "And thats in real money not that worthless Canadian money." The value of the Canadian dollar is all relative.

A 03 450F is $6,300 USD or $9,600 CDN in the the grand US of A. Well up here in Canada we can get them for $7,900 CDN or $5,200 USD! Who is getting the better deal now.

You should get a little more educated before you make a stupid comment like that.

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Big Gunner ]

• beezer

Posted July 09, 2002 - 05:16 AM

The company I own does 7 figures a year of business in Canada. The exchange rate is 1.55 lately. It makes it very hard to compete with that rate. You might get a better bang for the buck with motorcycles but everything else is more expensive. I have traveled extensively through Canada and love the people and the country. The comment about worthless money was made by one of my Canadian customers. If I offended you I apologize but there is an element of truth in it.

• yznvegas

Posted July 09, 2002 - 05:23 AM

BigGunner, Canadian money is worth a lot less than U.S. $. If you can't figure out simple math than that is your problem.

Seb, as for you young man, I think you are taking the right approach by asking opinions of experienced people. As a matter of fact you remind me of me when I was still a kid. I would ask everyone's opinion and than go do what I wanted anyway.

My very first bike was an 83' CR250R. What a friggin handful that was for someone that didn't even know how to use a clutch and shift gears.

I know that is not the case here because you know the characteristics of the transmission but remember, that the yz250f is going to pull VERY hard. The yz450 is going to pull TOO hard for you. Let your testys drop before you go and get something that is going to probably get you very badly injured, I don't want to see that happen.

• MikeOK

Posted July 09, 2002 - 06:33 AM

You also have to remember that you will be a little restricted as to the classes you can race in. Here on a 426 you can only go open, 250 class, or with me and all the other old geezers in the vet class. if you haven't raced motocross yet I wouldn't advise the 250 class, the beginner class is filled with idiots and sand baggers, and the rest of the classes are brutally fast. Go with the 250F...

• BFLee

Posted July 09, 2002 - 07:15 AM

Seb, look at your own signature:

Rider is #1
Handling is #2
Power is #3

Now take your own advice. The 450F should not even be a consideration for you right now. You should be choosing between the 250F and the TT125. I am sure you will be able to start the 450 and ride it, but that is not the point. For your first bike you want something that you will build confidence on and something that you will be able to ride the piss out of. This is not going to be your last bike, you can get the big one next time when you are more prepared to handle it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seb

Posted July 09, 2002 - 07:20 AM

thx guys for all ur advices....might go with the 250f..cant wait to try the two to be sure..one thing is sure I wont buy a 125...my dealer knows me really good(they sponsor me also) and they think the suspension is S H I T (gotta separate them or else u will see ****)for the riding ill do....beside u cant enter any class with the 125...except mini class....and I im a guy angry with power so having a 125 would result in selling it a month after and losing cash.....and by the way guys YES the canadian money worth less than US...so much that a lot of americans come to quebec to buy things!

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Seb ]

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Seb ]

• beezer

Posted July 09, 2002 - 07:43 AM

Seb your a smart kid! You are listening to advice. By the way could you please have them put out the forest fire up north. The air is bad enough around here. Good luck with what ever bike you choose.

• Seb

Posted July 09, 2002 - 08:47 AM

thx beezer u might not be that a jerk loll...and for the fire I cant wait for it to stop...I live in montreal and there is NO SUN because of the smoke... :)

• westladog

Posted July 09, 2002 - 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Seb:
hate two strokes..u only get problems with them..beside I prefer the sound and power output of the 4 strokes...also theirs engine braking and everything...thank u guys for ur advices...ill go sit on some at my yam dealer...ill see there and come back to tell u what I think after cause I wont be buying them this week cause they dont have them in stock..... :) still im not sure for 450 or 250 since some say they have one and shave the seat and their okay and everything....im almost 5foot9inches just mesured myself and im still growing....anyway ill see when ill try them...by the way thumper4life I dont want to get to pro right there...I know it will take me a lot of time since im new in the motocross business...but one thing that made me good in quads is perseverance(when I was 8 but he im still the same butthead guy who will do anything to be good)so it should help me a little..I hope loll

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Seb ]

I don't see why you adults waste your time trying to educate these kids. They are too young and immature to understand what you guys are trying to say.

A 15 year old on a 450? Even James Steward is still on a 125. What this about 2 stroke having problems? Kid, are you stupid? Get off the 4stroke bandwagon. You don't want to get into the "pro" now because you are new in the motorcross business? What sponsor is dumb enough to sponsor a kid that is new to motorsross?

kid...are you telling me that a 2 stroke has less power than a 4stroke? don't be stupid...

Like I said earlier...I don't understand why you older guys are even conversating with these kids.

• needsprayer

Posted July 10, 2002 - 03:47 AM

Show me one adult that rides a dirtbike and I will show you a big kid inside. :)

• MXOldtimer

Posted July 10, 2002 - 05:06 AM

Originally posted by needsprayer:
Show me one adult that rides a dirtbike and I will show you a big kid inside. :)

I know I am but, what are you! ppzzzzzzt

Takes one to know one.

• YamaFreak

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:04 AM

Originally posted by westladog:

I don't see why you adults waste your time trying to educate these kids. They are too young and immature to understand what you guys are trying to say.

A 15 year old on a 450? Even James Steward is still on a 125. What this about 2 stroke having problems? Kid, are you stupid? Get off the 4stroke bandwagon. You don't want to get into the "pro" now because you are new in the motorcross business? What sponsor is dumb enough to sponsor a kid that is new to motorsross?

kid...are you telling me that a 2 stroke has less power than a 4stroke? don't be stupid...

Like I said earlier...I don't understand why you older guys are even conversating with these kids.

Fewer problems - YES!!!! How often do I have to rebuild my 426- I run it hard for hours every week, I won't rebuild mine for another year or two!! 2 smokes, lets see, gas and oil circulated through the bottom end of an engine for lubrication= LOTZ OF Rebuilds!!!! Jack @ss...

2 Smokes don't last very long at all...

• neWRiver

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:33 AM

Some good points, but I think they could be made just as well with a little less bashing. :D

From a riding perspective, a two-stroke 125 is a viable alternative that addresses the needs of a beginning rider when taking into account a smaller physical stature. I'm about 150 lbs. and I find the lightness of a 125 to be very nice change from even my 250F (especially since mine is a WR). The power delivery is different, but the improvement in handling characteristics is significant. With the YZF's losing some weight in '03, this may not be as much of an issue.

I can't really speak to the maintenance difference since I don't have any experience owning a 2-stroke myself, although I ride with several folks who do. I spend alot of time wrenching on my 250F, though.

Lastly, I think what westladog is making reference to is the fact the nobody can effectively advise a teenager using simply logic, facts and sound judgement. It doesn't work that way. They will decide for themselves who they believe and what is true based on nothing that a mature individual will comprehend. They love to ask for advice and they will just as quickly throw yours in the trash can if it doesn't agree with whatever opinion they've decided to adopt. Help them when you can, but let it go before you get to the point of pulling your hair out. They'll figure it out eventually. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:40 AM

I was 14 years old when I rode my first 40 inch DIrt Bike. It was a BSA A-10 650 punched to a 810 Full Sifton Engine.

At 14 I wieghed less then 120 pounds. That wa the funnest striaght line I aver went.

At 16 I started riding 750 Triumphs in Scrambles
So a 350lb 750 in a trackmaster frame with a 16 year old 140 lb Ego on it, is about the same comparison.

I say if you can handle it do it if ya cant dont....

But I would say start with the 250 build some butt muscle and cahona's then move up to the 450

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• beezer

Posted July 10, 2002 - 09:05 PM

When I was young my Daddy would buy me any motorcycle I wanted. Daddy felt it was silly to teach me the value of money or learn the feeling of accomplishment. I never did any maintenance because if it broke I got a new one. When I got bored with them I would ghost ride them into traffic.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.